Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhgardengal

Supplies for market in Ohio

jhgardengal
12 years ago

Anyone know of a good place to pick up supplies for market in NW Ohio? I'm talking flower sleeves, clamshells, etc..., or do you purchase from a distributor/catalog online/magazine? I have always just used home type supplies, but am going a little higher grade this year and need to get different supplies. Not sure where I will find best value. Ideas?

Comments (8)

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

You can pick up at Benton harbor Market, Benton Harbor MI thru Monte's. I used to travel to get them, until I found my Amish friends, now I just buy from them. They have them brought in from Niles, MI.

I have no place near me, closest is 50 miles away.

Marla

• jhgardengal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marla, I've seen that name of Monte's on this forum before. There is an Amish store just west of here across the Indiana line that has seed and supplies, I think I will try there.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Check with the Amish store, first. Otherwise, it's a nice drive over to Monte's or Niles. I've never bought from Niles directly, but have from Monte's. Of course, call first for hours.

Another tip, I always buy as much as I think I'll need for a couple of years. It's never enough for that long, but at least I'm not making that trip every month or so.

• henhousefarms
    12 years ago

jhgardengal - Are you thinking of E&R by chance?? We usd to get some items from them but do not remember them having market supplies. Of course they do not have a website and you usually have to call and leave a message which does not help. IIRC I have a catalog from them somewhere around here if you want I can thumb through it for you.

Monte is great but they are really proud of their shipping costs. About the only thing we get from them anymore are cider jugs and then drive up to get them. Like Marla says we get most of our disposables (clamshells and pint/quart boxes) from the local Amish sale barn. They keep a stock for their sellers and are cheaper than ordering from elsewhere and paying shipping. We get most of our fruit bags from Glacier Valley - again they are the most reasonable place to order from and ship pretty fast. They also have other suppies like boxes.

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Glacier Valley

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I've never had Monte ship, I asked one time about the cost, I figured out that we could drive for the same amount and get more, on our time table.

• jhgardengal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Tom, it is E&R. I left work early to check it out since they are only open until 4:30. They had trays that I needed, but not much else. I at least located the Amish auction I had been wondering about. I'm looking for a regional source for some items and am glad I ran into it.

I will have to check out Montes, or elsewhere for other supplies. I need much as I'm just opening the store. I have focused on flowers and some herbs in the last 10 years and am kind of diving head first into the wide range of an on-farm market.

Thanks,
    Juli
    Something from the Garden
    Van Wert, OH

• boulderbelt
    12 years ago

Wow Juli, you are not far from me. I am about 2 hours due south of you, near Eaton. I have a really good friend, also named Julie, who was born and raised in Van Wert but long ago went out to California

I get my Supplies through Nolt's Produce Supply in Leola, PA. Another Amish company. They have a lot of stuff like pots, trays, irrigation, seeds, greenhouse supplies, row cover, etc.. Cheap prices, cheap delivery (as cheap as they can find) and they are quick. 717-656-9764

• jhgardengal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

boulderbelt, are you sure that Julie didn't go to Colorado? I grew up in VW, but moved to Colorado about ...wow...22 years ago (has it been that long?) and moved back 12 years ago. By the way, I work in Celina, so we're actually closer than we think!

Does anyone use flower sleeves and floral supplies? Right now, I use a floral distributor/wholesale house out of Ft. Wayne, IN, but if I can get it all together, would save on trips and bills.

Juli
    Something from the Garden
    Van Wert, OH

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery