sam268

Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???

sam268
October 21, 2009

Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read so much negative things about it. I really like the color of the Autumn Blaze and also the upright branchings.

Looks like a good alternative would be this Redpointe but I can only find limited pictures and info on the web

www.redpointemaple.com

please share your experience with this tree.

I plant to get one this Spring as all nursery near where I live is sold out.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6

I can't help you concerning Redpointe, but I can elude to trunk crack issues with Autumn Blaze. The link below shows some images of an AB I planted probably 10 years ago as a small B&B tree. Had grown very well, withstood dry conditions with no foliage droop, great fall color, and withstood the 75mph winds of the remains of Hurricane Ike a year ago with only some leaves being blown off. The tree had vertical seams in the bark when purchased and I didn't think much about them until this spring when most of the seams opened up into extensive vertical cracks all around the circumference of the trunk - not just of the south side as seen with frost cracks. The tree produced a huge amount of seed this spring, and the foliage started turning red in early July. A couple reputable arborist took looks at the tree and considered the tree doomed - as did I. So I cut it down instead of prolonging the agony. The trunk was about 12-14 inches in diameter and all that remained of the cambium layer was a couple 3 inch vertical strips almost 180� opposite. So I checked other plantings of AB that I was familiar with and all showed the same vertical seams with some cracks starting to appear. I contacted the nursery from which my tree originated and was told they had to destroy a large portion of their field stock because of the same issue. I have observed and the nursery said as much that if there are no visible seams in the trunk as a young tree - 2-3 inch caliper - then the seams and cracks probably won't occur. So it seems to be something the tree experiences in it's youth that causes the cracks. There are some articles claiming that Roundup could be the cause being absorbed into the tender green bark at a young age during field spraying. But I think that has yet to be proved. Otherwise AB can be a great tree and I was sad to loss it.

Marshall

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Blaze trunk cracks

• brian_zn_5_ks

Interesting comments, mrgpag. (By the way, want to buy some more vowels??)

In the many years that i have been working with the red maples and hybrids, it seems to me, in my area of the country - midwest - any young maple can be prone to trunk cracking. There have been literally thousands planted (particularly Red Sunset) in all sorts of sites. Stressed sites - strip malls, highway easements - seem to provoke the worst effects. I suppose that only makes a kind of sense - more reflected light and heat from a parking lot, for example, than from a homeowner's turf.

The notion that field production weed control may also contribute is very interesting - but who knows for sure?

Anyway, considering that there may be many, many factors involved suggests to me that there is no more concern with Autumn Blaze maples than with any other cultivar.

Now, as to the OP's question on Redpointe. As has been mentioned, this is yet another new red maple selection, not too many of them in the ground yet, certainly no long term evaluation is possible now. Frankly, I don't see all that much difference from other cultivars in the young nursery trees I get - and that is not unusual when dealing with young, juvenile trees.

The major thing I see with Redpointe - if you get one that Schmidt nursery grew, it is indeed extremely uniform and full. I mean, it's a real nice looking young tree. Is that its genetic growth characteristic, or the result of very good growing technique, or some of both? Beats me...

My advice? See what your local nursery has available next spring, see what looks good to you, see what seems to be growing well in your area.

brian

• Embothrium

"Frankly"? How appropriate, considering the subject.

• sam268

I have not pull the trigget yet but do need something abit nore narrow with good red color.
    Please kindly share who wide your repointe is with age.

• Embothrium

>Please kindly share who wide your repointe is with ageAppears to be too new on the market for that.

• gardener365

Acer rubrum Red Rocket is a Maple I purchased a few years ago from Sooner Plant Farm. Check it out... there's a link above to their nursery. I see you're in Canada, Sam. Anyways, maybe they ship up to Canada or you may find it elsewhere for sale.

Dax

• Dmacsimus

Day late and a dollar short, but here is my RedPoint Maple Tree. It was planted in 2009 from a 15 gal container and was at atleast 10' tall. It's now close to 18' tall and I have pruned it every year after 2011 to fine tune structure, form, and give the trunk more girth in respect to height. The tree is awesome, if you havent gotten one yet, do it. It will be loved!

• Dmacsimus

Close up 2/2

• tlbean2004

That is beautiful!!!

• Dmacsimus

Thank you very much tlbean2004.

• hairmetal4ever

Looks like Forestfarm now offers Redpointe.

Is there a consensus on this yet, as to whether it's actually a rubrum or an x freemanii? Looks more Freeman, albeit a much better behaved one, but it's almost exclusively marketed as an Acer rubrum.

• Dmacsimus

Mine is confirmed a RedPoint Maple Tree from midvalleytrees.com
    Awesome trees

• tkrtomm

I gather this Redpointe is located in the Central Valley. Any problems with leaf burn during the long hot summers?

It's a beautiful tree.

• Dmacsimus
    I have had no problems with burning leaves on mine. it's in zone 9.
  • tkrtomm

Thanks for the help Dmacsimus. I found a couple 15' Redpointe maples up in Lake Arrowhead. I'll wait until they go dormant before purchasing and planting them in the High Desert. I was told I'm in zone 8b (zip 92345). Hopefully I'll have success like yourself as I'm a novice.

• Pecci

Any follow-up on the Redpointes being grown in CA. Any marginal leaf-burn yet? Thank you.

• Dmacsimus
    Pecci, the leaves of mine are just now starting to come out again for another season. I will try to remember to take a pic and post it. my tree is planted in a yard, so it get watered on a regular basis. on some very hot summers I can see the tree is hotter than it would like, but to date so far, the leaves themselves do not show any damage.
  • Pecci

Thanks. Did they show any damage this past Sept & Oct? Which nursey did you find Redpointe?

• Dmacsimus
    no signs of trouble, my local dealer which doesn't carry them anymore, but if I remember one mail order co does. I think it's forestfarms.com in their acer section of trees. just check your zone for the tree.
    good luck.
  • Pecci

Thank so much, sir.

• Dmacsimus
    Welcome
  • Dmacsimus
    update, pic as of 04-23-2017. just leaved out. very nice tree ! fast grower ! beautiful fall colors . tree that's hard to beat overall.
    dmacsimus
  • Pecci

That is beautiful! Got my Redpointe yesterday and it'll be planted w/i a few days.

• Dmacsimus
    your gonna like it. I think out of the MANY hybrids of Silver Maples, this one is the winner ! just so ya know, they like moist drained soil, and they will seek water sources.
    cheers,
    dmacsimus
  • Pecci

Thank you, my friend. Let's update each other from time to time.

• Dmacsimus
    sounds cool, I try to update all my trees. if ya have some time search for me: dmacsimus, or dmacsimuss66. I have alot of oaks too. really think their cool.
    cheers,
  • Dmacsimus
    oops, typo : dmacsimus66
  • Pecci

Which oaks do you have?

• Pecci

I checked. You have many. Don't you wish you owned a few acres? I did a few years back in MO. I planted maples, oaks, dogwoods, etc. The state gave them away for free.

• Dmacsimus
    in the ground, I have Q. Regal Prince, Q. Pinnacle (special seed select Burr oak, Vertical Variation), Q. Laceyi, and a Q. Scarlet Letter oak.

in buckets, I have: Q. Acutissima, Q. Velutina, Q. Pinnacle (from my yard oak), Q. Marilandica, and a white oak I just can't remember right now. :))
  • Dmacsimus
    and yes very much so ! I wish I some Akers of land. to feed the deer and the antelope, the squirrels. would be so sweet.
  • Dmacsimus
    Q. Garryana, that's the other two I have. whew, old timers is getting to me. JK
    lol
  • Dmacsimus
    just within the time I posted last time. look at all the new growth. I really like these trees !
  • Pecci

Looking good. Yours looks to be a tad broader than I would have expected. Got mine in L. Arrowhead a month ago. It's off to a great start. The leader has already grown 5". Nice dark green leaves that, at this time are a bit thicker than my other maples.

• Dmacsimus
    Pecci, show me pics of your trees please . :))
  • Pecci

Yes, as soon as one of my kids teaches me how to. Maybe tomorrow.

• Dmacsimus
    ok, I'll be waiting.
  • Dmacsimus
    update as of today, 08-12-2017
  • Pecci

Looking good. I had taken the pics, but was unable to get them on. Mine has absolutely no leaf-burn yet. I do some deep leeching every 3 wks, to rinse the root-zone of salts.

Thanks for the update. Be sure to post a pic of it's best look during Fall. I will have my daughter help with my photos, when I see her.

• Dmacsimus
    fall pic, just a tad late to get the whole effect. still beautiful fall color! really luke the tree.
  • Dmacsimus
    oops, lol, like.
  • Pecci

Mine has just begun. A little yellow & a couple of red leaves. The 100+ degree heatwave we had last week that lasted several days didn't help any. We had one night that stayed in the 70s with SA winds. Humidities fell as low as 4% for a time.

Your tree looks good. A tiny bit of marginal leaf-burn only began about 10-15 days ago, on mine and probably due to our very long growing season. Those leaves are so old.

• Pecci

Warm nights (60ish) are ruining any chance for color. What a drag. I would show pics if there was anything to show. Many leaves are browning-up nicely! ;(

• Dmacsimus
    when ya do, post a pic. they are a beautiful tree. I just wish the leaves stayed on a bit longer, for the tree purges them fairly at a fast rate. ;)
  • Dmacsimus
    update: 8-21-18, end of summer pic of its growth. very nice tree with no reportable problems. it does require thinning pruning, and branch selective pruning, but nothing other trees don't also require. really an all around very pleasant shade tree, for a semi fast growing shade tree. drops all of its leaves cleanly early winter, and has nice fall colors.
  • Pecci

It seems to have grown quickly. This year mine appears to have smaller leaves than last (yr. one). Thanks for sharing.

• Dmacsimus
    share a pic of your tree. yes, it's really taking on some size now. can't wait for the summer shade from it. thanks.
  • Joe Williams

I'm going to revive an old thread, since I see Dmacsimus is regularly active on the forums. After 10 years now, is your opinion of the Redpointe still good? I assume in CA you probably have fairly alkaline soil, does it still maintain a good green color through out the growing season without any chlorosis or yellowing? Thanks

• Pecci

I'm in Inland OC and mine has been flawless, sfter its 3.5 yrs.. We're not cold enough to turn the brightest fall colors, but no chlorosis at all. Marginal leafburn is non-existant until fall & leaves begin to turn. My soil ph is 7.8, so is my water. At 12' not growing as quickly as I expected & leaves are smaller, also.

• Dmacsimus

Hey Joe, I have not had any problems with my tree from the ground in my area. I took this picture today, and as you can see all the leaves are a nice green color. The tree produces great colors in the fall and drops its leaves cleanly. It’s a great choice for the shade summer, sun winter option kind tree. Cheers