Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

Wolf's Lilac

leftwood
19 years ago

When my Syringa wolfii blooms, the flowers (and buds) absolutely glow in the moonlight. Flower color is white blushed pink.

Rick

Comments (3)

• shadygrove
    19 years ago

Don't know this species--I don't know that I've ever seen it for sale--could you describe its habit and size a bit? Thanks for the education.

• leftwood
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have never seen Syringa wolfii at any retail outlet - only mail order. I had got mine from Forest Farm.

I had originally got it because write ups say it can have flower panicals up to one foot. But mine doesn't, though it is very floriferous. Though the bush is about the size of S. vulgaris (regular lilacs), the panicals are only 6-8 inches long and 5 inches wide, made up of individual florets half the size of vulgaris. Buds are very light pink with a hint of lavendar and open to white flowers with a hint of pink.

Interesting also in that when the flowers senesce, the bare panicals with their small bracts stay a lighter green than the foliage giving the effect that the bush is in flower with light green flowers. Effective for another couple of weeks. Mine never seeds, and they eventually turn dark brown like all lilacs and are then a detriment.

Rick

• shadygrove
    19 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up. Sounds like an attractive plant (sorry if this gets posted twice. Computer weirdness.)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting