daninwinfield

free compost in dupage county, il?

daninwinfield

Hi, all - on a tight budget this year, I've been trying to find a place to get free compost and/or mulch (decent enough not to ruin things :) Any ideas in DuPage County - I live in Winfield (next to Wheaton)

If you don't know of any FREE, what's the very least expensive source you know. (Yes, I am making my own as well - just not enough.)

Dan

• eln2002meyer

there is free horse manure compost at the stable in downtown Bartlett

• pitimpinai

A friend of mine lives in Medinah on Medinah Rd. & Lake. She said only a mile from hers there is a horse stable and a sign that says free fertilizer or manure. It's not that far from you.

I have another source of free compost and manure, but it's farther north from you. You might still be interested in that since it's not far from Route 53. You can just jump on the I355 all the way up. PLMK.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

pitimpinai, where is the second one? I'm near Route 53.
    Thanks...

• mckenna

There is a Dupage Forest Preserve with an equestrian center just south of Butterfield Road on Naperville Rd. They might have free stuff. Here is a link to their page. I'll keep an eye on this post as I am in Lombard and would love free or cheap compost. I have bought from Sure Green Landscape supply in the past as well as DuPage topsoil.

http://www.dupageforest.com/EDUCATION/danada.html#Model%20Farm

• trisha_51

I get free manure from a stable on St Charles Rd & Schmale.

• bellarosa

Hi all,
    I'm in Woodstock, IL. Does anyone know where I can get some compost out here? Thanks.

• arborgirl

There is also a stable just east of Route 14 on Dundee Road (IL-68) that has a sign out for free manure. It's a bit closer to Woodstock than Bartlett. Not sure what the name of it is (even though I drive by every day!). Might want to check it out...

• baabuddha

I am looking for free compost in Chicago. Any tips? I am also looking for some old joists to create some raised beds with... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• pitimpinai

I don't know of free compost in Chicago, but there is free horse manure at the Chicago Police horse stable in the Southshore Cultural Center on South Shore Drive & 75th street.

Maybe if you post on Freecycle, you might get free joist for your garden beds. Why haven't I thought of that when I built my beds last spring?

• trisha_51

If you work, and have inter-office email, ask about sending a request for grass clippings. Picking up bags from co-workers would save them the pick-up fee, and be good for your garden.

• poppydog

Forgive my ignorance, when you get manure from a stable, is it fully composted?