Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2zmom_gw

Organic Fertlizer?

a2zmom_Z6_NJ
16 years ago

Anyone know what nurseries sell organic fertilizer? Northern NJ would be best.

Comments (9)

• jesskidden
    16 years ago

Most garden centers I frequent carry Espoma.

Here is a link that might be useful: Espoma Dealer search website

• carlanne
    16 years ago

I like to buy OceanGro in April. It is made by the sewage treatment plant in Ocean County so not so convenient for north Jersey, and it is primarily manufactured for lawns, etc. During April it is only $6 for a 50 pound bag. It has a slight odor that discourages rabbits some, but it doesn't smell like human waste! There are previous posts on this product.

The HD has a product made by Miracle Grow but organic and they were selling it very cheap for a short while. Also milorganite is reasonable and available at HD.

• lydiakitty
    16 years ago

I've been looking for Terracycle in several different stores...anyone know where to find some?

• jesskidden
    16 years ago

Ya know, I liked Terracycle's concept, especially since it's a local NJ company, and so I tried to find their product using their website (where they have a "store locator" feature- link below). I was somewhat annoyed that they seemed to primarily deal with national chains and when I went to those stores they list, there'd be a few dusty containers of one or two of their products (when there were any at all)- and never the ones I was looking for.

So, figuring they're a small, local firm I'd call them so I could buy their product at the source (and they'd make more money off me- cutting out the "middle man"). Nope. Not interested. They wanted me to go to Wal-Mart. Forget that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Terracycle

• classytchr64
    16 years ago

My local Home Depot ( Rt. 70 in cherry Hill ) has a nice selection for Terracycle products. However, Jesskidden, I agree that it's disappointing that they only sell to big box retailers.

Carlanne, thanks for the reminder about Oceangro. Your comment about repelling rabbits caught my eye. :o)
    Leslie

• diytrying
    16 years ago

It's pretty easy to find the organic components to make your own organic fertilizer and that way you can make it to suit your soil and conditions. My HD has started to carry more of the basic ingredients and Agway has just about all of them.I have a good book with all kinds of mix-n-match "recipes" for fertilizers, pest control, container mixes, etc.

• omm9
    15 years ago

Diytrying.. what is the title of the how-to book you mentioned in your post?

omm9

• diytrying
    15 years ago

Sorry Omm, haven't been here in awhile. It's Great Garden Formulas.
    They have it on Amazon, really cheap - tried to put a link in here but couldn't - just searched on the above title....

• the_seventh_worm
    15 years ago

Try this; I think they carry the Espoma line of organics.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville