Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salbwil

nepeta

salbwil
17 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking for a low growing Nepeta, either "Walkers Low", or" Little Titch". I live in eastern Ma. and will travel some miles to find this. The garden centers I've been only seem to have the tall growing varieties, and I'm reluctant to order from California.....seems quite a distance for plants to travel.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

salbwil

Comments (3)

• flybynyte
    17 years ago

Here's my experience with 'walker's low'. It is in it's third year now---mine gets about 2ft high and the width has reached at least 3ft.

I enjoy it, even though it gets a bit bigger than what I was expecting.

• Lady_Pennywort
    17 years ago

I had to add my 2 cents, I clicked on this forum by accident, trying to go to the Northwest Gardening forum. I saw this about Nepeta though and had to add - Walker's Low doesn't mean the plant is going to be a low growing plant. It's just the name.

In zone 8 in it's second year, it's already waist high for me, and about 3 feet wide. Don't get me wrong - I love it - I think it's a beautiful plant. But ya better step back and give it some room.

I made this same mistake last year, I thought it was a low growing variety until someone on the cottage garden forum pointed out that was just the name.

Hope you find a place for it in your garden!
    fiwa

• leo_prairie_view
    17 years ago

Nepeta Mussinii (=Faassenii) is only 8-10" high and blooms most of the summer if cut back. It is very easy to start fom seed and will bloom the first year fom a March sowing
    The ones I have came from JLHudson.

Sponsored