Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verdunken

Growing melons in Quebec

verdunken
19 years ago

I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if there are any types of melons that would grow in the short period we have in the Montreal area. Of course I am asking for next season.

If so, when would be a good time to start them? Can I start them indoors?

Comments (8)

• Organicwop

Hi verdunken!
    Their is a melon called "Montreal" (beautiful heirloom with good flavour) which obviously does well in Quebec,"fast break" (Hybrid cantaloupe type with good production, DTM 69 days), "yellow doll" (hybrid very sweet yellow-water melon, DTM 68 days), "Ariva" (hybrid Galia type melon, DTM 75 days) and last but not least "Athena"(hybrid cantaloupe, DTM 75 days). Hope this helps
    Organic

• Organicwop

Hi verdunken!
    Their is a melon called "Montreal" (beautiful heirloom with good flavour) which obviously does well in Quebec,"fast break" (Hybrid cantaloupe type with good production, DTM 69 days), "yellow doll" (hybrid very sweet yellow-water melon, DTM 68 days), "Ariva" (hybrid Galia type melon, DTM 75 days) and last but not least "Athena"(hybrid cantaloupe, DTM 75 days). Hope this helps
    Organic

• Organicwop

Hi verdunken!
    Organic

• glen3a
    19 years ago

If you do start them indoors, not too early (directions usually on the seed packet) as they need good light (maybe can start indoors and put outside during nice early may days?).

Also, they don't like being transplanted, so if you start them in peat pots this works best. You just sink the entire peat pot in the ground, thus no transplant shock to the plant.

Usually the melons we grow (here at least) are short season ones and they do produce an acceptable crop even if directly sown outdoors around the May long weekend.

• woolywoof
    19 years ago

If you go to the Jean Talon or Atwater markets you will see local producers selling cantelope and other melon. Ask them what sort they grow.

• shapiro
    19 years ago

We are in Ottawa, close to Quebec! We grown a cantaloupe called "Earlisweet", available in the Stokes catalogue. Not large but very good!

• anemone
    19 years ago

Hi,

I live on the south shore of Montreal. Last year I bought a cantaloupe melon from the market in Laprairie. It was so good I decided to keep the seeds, which I started inside this winter. The plants are growing very well now, with lots of flowers. Don't know the name though, but I was told they were grown in Quebec.

• verdunken
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. It is very much appreciated.

Sponsored