Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
granilege

2, 4-D organic?..alternatives?

granilege
16 years ago

Dandelions and crabgrass. DH wants to use weed & feed on lawn. The mix includes 2, 4-D.

I want to have our farm certified organic soon and I don't want to have to wait another several years due to recent chemical use. Is there a way to get rid of dandelions and crabgrass without using chemicals?

Comments (5)

• iowa50126
    16 years ago

I use a Weed Hound tool made by Hound Dog tools in Edina, MN. Ames Tool bought the company in 2006...so I don't know if they are made in MN any more. It's a tool that's easy to use and does a good job on both dandelion and crab grass.

But, it's like sweat shop piece work...you pull each weed one at a time. It works best just after a rain when the weeds are easier to pull.

You can usually find one at Home depot for about the same price as 6 gallons of gasoline...($20)

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Hound info

• okcdan
    16 years ago

Yup - mechanical removal avoids those chemicals -- I love my Weed Hound...you can pull em as fast as you can step on em! :)

Good day, Dan

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

In answer to your original question, 2-4-D is certainly not organic. It is a chemical product in chemical weed and feed products which should be taken off the market. Read the back of one of those bags. It tells you not to spread the product under the drip line of trees or around shrubs or other plants you want to keep. Annual weeds and crabgrass can be controlled with corn gluten meal but it needs to be applied before the weed seeds germinate. In your zone, the spring application of CGM is when the forsitha blooms.

• Billl
    16 years ago

If you want to be certified organic, you are going to have to get rid of the "feed" part as well as the "weed" part. You won't be allowed synthetic fertilizers either. If you are really interested in making a run at organic farming, it sounds like you may have some research to do still or you could make some fairly costly mistakes.

In short though, there is no organic 2-4D. If you don't want a plant someplace, you will have to pull it out or prevent it from growing in the first place.

• bryanccfshr
    16 years ago

To add to the problem 24d will not kill crabgrass.

Crabgrass and dandelions indicate a watering regimen and soil conditions that are beneficial to them and not to good turf grass. The seeds need light and consistent moisture to germinate. Infrequent watering and having the soil shaded stops much of the invasion. Organic takes more time and effort. It is worth it. Mow high water deep and infrequent and concentrate on building up the health of the grass and soil.
    In reality a good turf grass is a true weed, spreading and invading and choking out competition in time. Tailor your care of the lawn to that weeds advantage and it will dominate the other plants.

Sponsored