Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

There is a cold night this weekend

helenh
12 years ago

This tomato is protected but frost could get the top.

Comments (14)

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

What cold night? All I see is 42 on Friday night, which is a long ways from freezing. Do you know something different?

Sandy

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yesterday TV 7 Doug Heady was forecasting 38 degrees for Sat. morning. 38 in Joplin means light frost here in this valley. Tonight it had been changed to 40 so I'm watching carefully. Two or three years ago my friend in Joplin didn't get a frost until Nov. when I had a frost mid October. Living in a valley makes a big difference.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Well, the peppers and impatiens will NOT be happy at 38 degrees and may sulk at me for a day or so, but they will eventually get over it. If I were in a valley, I'd be covering things like mad, Helen. That straw was a good idea --
    Sunny

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

We are on top of a hill so we probably won't get a frost. Hope not anyway. I do see rain again tomorrow night.

Sandy

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I see 38ð predicted for us. I dashed out this morning and brought in my flat of peppers and tomatoes so I wouldn't forget. A windy 58ð day wouldn't do them any good either which is what they are saying for today. They were already blown flat by the winds we are getting now. I hope the lights will straighten them up.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Weather.gov now says 36 tonight for Springfield.
    I still haven't planted any annuals or veggies. I can just put the containers against my south wall under my balcony where it's warmer. I may still bring a few things in especially if they keep lowering the forecast temp.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    12 years ago

Saw that Christie. I live in Springfield and do have a bunch that will need covered tonight. grrrrr. I know I jumped the gun so deserve the extra work. lol

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

If it's gonna frost it will just have to be, my whole garden is in summer mode. I think we just skipped April altogether. Can't cover an acre. Tge tropicals may have to go back into the greenhouse tho.

Sandy

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Well, guess who was out there yesterday PM with every available empty pot and paper bag -- today it looks funny to see a crop of upside-down pots in my beds and planters. I had saved some insulated paper bags from the WalMart freezer section and these went over the small tomato plants with a plant marker through the edge to hold them in place.

I just couldn't stand the thought of losing them -- and all the work of selection and planting again -- hope no one had any frost or damage of any kind. Hopefully, that was the last cold night this garden season.
    Sunny

• teeandcee
    12 years ago

I dragged some iffy stuff against the house and everything is okay. I went out today (Sunday) in a tank top (didn't check the temp first) and turned right around and put on a full shirt. Brrrr!

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

It was cold today even with a jacket. I walked around my yard and looked for frost damage but didn't see any. I think we just barely escaped it. Another degree or two could've made a big difference. I was glad to see that my iris are still blooming.

• teeandcee
    12 years ago

My iris are okay too. My hubby told me it was supposed to be in the thirties tonight so I sighed and moved everything under shelter. Again, lol.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was gone all weekend but I see no damage only a house full of tomato plants to deal with.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

We had ice on the bird bath, but I don't see any damage to all the blooming plants.

Now, of course, it is going to get too hot!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES