Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

sliced cucumbers

helenh
9 years ago

I sometimes just slice cucumbers and onions salt and pepper and vinegar. I just looked up recipes for proper recipes and many use fresh dill. I am not very good at using herbs even when I have them. I don't have dill though. How do you make sliced cucumbers and onions and do you use dill?

Comments (5)

• christie_sw_mo
    9 years ago

I put vinegar, ice cubes, sugar (only I use Splenda for my carb-counting hubby) and a little water in a bowl and slice cucumbers into that. No dill. Sometimes onion slices.
    I can't stand the smell of dill. I've raised caterpillars on it so now it reminds me of that. (Caterpillar poop) lol
    I don't measure but I put quite a bit of vinegar in mine because my hubby likes them that way. I'd rather just have plain cucumber slices with nothing on them.

• gldno1
    9 years ago

I do mine like Christie; no dill! I like dill in pickles and that is all.
    Want me to send you some dill seeds for next year? Mine has already gone to seed. Come to think of it you could just use a sprinkle (not too many) to see if you like the flavor.

I am sending you seeds today.

• helenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Glenda I found the seeds in my mailbox today. I haven't made sliced cucumbers yet but the seeds smell good. I picked some cucumbers this evening and will try your dill soon. I keep thinking my cucumbers are done but they keep producing. I have watered them a lot. They wilt in the daytime and then perk back up. Squash bugs have been on the plants but they don't seem to have taken them over like they did on the squash plants.

• gldno1
    9 years ago

Helen, just scatter some seeds where you would enjoy a stand of dill and they should self-seed for next year. Mine are all self-seeded. I would think now would be a good time,maybe save a few to sew next spring.

• helenh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Glenda. I like the dill seeds for the smell and the caterpillars but not in the cucumbers. I am out of cucumbers now except for some pickle type that refuses to climb my support. It sprawls on the ground and I don't find them until they are big. I really liked the slicing cucumbers I had this year. I wish I had made a note of what I planted. I think they were English cucumbers - no tough seeds - very productive and mild flavored never bitter. I can check the opened packets and guess. I kept them watered because there would be a small cucumber and in no time it was big enough to pick - so rewarding.