Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robsp2000

Need help with newly plant royal palm

robsp2000
11 years ago

I planted 4 - 25 gallon royal palms in late January. Not knowing any better, I added fertilizer to the soil around the rootball. I realized this was wrong pretty quickly and within a 4-5 days we dug them back up, rinsed the rootball and dug the holes out larger and added fresh unfertilized soil. 3 of the palms have bounced back well and the new center fronds are growing pretty quickly. About 6 inches a week. One tree however, didn't do as well. It had 4 fronds to begin with and about a 16" new center frond sprouting. The two lowest fronds turned completely brown. The third one turned about 25% brown and the highest frond just has a little brown on the tips of the leaves. All this damage happened within the first 2 weeks. Since then it has not gotten any worse.

The new center frond though has not grown at all. It is still the original size it was when it was planted. Is this tree dying or is it in shock? It's been about 7 weeks now. If it is just shock, how long can this last before it starts to grow again?

Comments (9)