Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Tomato Trellis

chickencoupe
9 years ago

I have 8 foot scrap boards to use as the main poles. (2' penetration depth) And others I could use to build a triangular base (at the 2ft mark).

Is a 2 dimensional base sufficient or 3 dimensional base?

I'm thinking a 2 dimensional base would support say.... 4 tomato plants pushing the envelope on load-bearing. But I wonder if 3 dimensional support would hold a longer row.

Or is the entire concept ridiculous in our weather? I figure nothing much holds up in the worst of our clime but metal which I don't have.

bon

Comments (2)

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

Bon, that looks very nice. I have a hard time getting 2' deep on any thing. If I were trying to build a wood trellis like yours, I would most likely have to go about 18" deep and then use a guy wire system from the post to the landscape timber because my soil is so hard and tight. I also have a lot of wind that can put stress on a loaded trellis.

If I remember correctly, you have deep rich soil which permits you to things that I am unable to do.

I hope you will show pictures as the tomatoes grow.

Larry

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, Larry. That picture is from the internet. Stolen fair and square! But I wanted the visual aid.

Guy wire! I was wondering what that's called. :D I'm using it on some simple trellises now. My soil can be really soft in some places, I'm discovering. Every time you mention how hard your soil is I think "Ouch!". And I admire your persistence because your garden is spectacular despite your disadvantages.

We have a lot of old wood. I got to thinking further and realized I could simply add on extra stakes (about 2 feet down) on a bottom 2 dimensional triangle support. That would be sufficient. Then, I thought about a triangle bracing at the top corner supporting the upper wood bar. And Bill mentioned a truss brace with a pin insert would allow that to become mobile.

Then, we realized we could make two rows of these and interconnect them - again with the truss braces - down the center between the two rows, like a tunnel. it would serve as a support later when I begin using shade tarps.

The whole thing would be portable. A little work, but portable.

When we get it going, I'll post pictures. Then, we can all laugh as it fails. LOL Good fun, no matter.