Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

when they get big

irun5k
12 years ago

This is a shot I thought some of you might enjoy- a large pink growing in my neighbor's back yard. It is clearing the second story of their house. No, this is not Hawaii.... this is a zone 9b! This beast shows me why the serious collectors are always shuffling inventory in and out!

I actually have a genetically similar tree growing in my yard. I planted it as a landscape specimen and the space can accommodate it (eventually it will cover my entire deck and first story of my house.) I assume that both are at least relatives of the Miami Rose.

I am having second thoughts on mine though. The tree is a profuse grower, and many times only branches in two directions. As a result the tree becomes very sparse. I have seen potted plumeria with more inflos than the mammoth below. On the upshot, the inflos are also mammoth and put out for 2-3 months. Still, there would be little comparison between the structure of a compact rubra or a singapore obtusa and this type of tree @ 15 feet in height.

Well, I can blame all this on being a beginner. At least mine isn't anywhere near as large as the one below (yet!)

{{gwi:1185057}}

Comments (6)