Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy4435

landscape designer wanted

nancy4435
9 years ago

i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking for a designer preferable a student, UCLA, who wants to design my California Natives front yard.

I can pay a reasonable hourly rate. No licensed architects, gardeners or scammers need reply.

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Nancy, this is not a job board. Since you are hoping for a student, I suggest you contact your area colleges and universities with landscape design programs and post your request with them.

If you decide that it might be a good idea to invest in the services of an experienced professional landscape designer, full service garden centers/ nurseries often have professional designers on staff. It doesn't have to be an L.A.

By the way, perhaps gardeners and lawn care people will work by the hour (sometimes), but designers will charge by the job. You'll need to ask what someone will charge for the completed landscape plan, on paper.

Compensation grows or shrinks according to what you need as a finished product. No one will charge an hourly rate for design work or even prep and installation.

• marcinde
    9 years ago

oh jesus. Are you one of those vultures looking to fleece a student by promising them "exposure" or "it'll look great in your portfolio"? Go back to craigslist and leave the professionals alone. People like you are disgusting.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Marcinde, your response was unbelievably rude. Speaking as someone who was a student, a professional, AND an educator I can tell you that without homeowners willing to allow students to practice on their property, the education of landscape designers and landscape architects would be pretty shallow.

Nancy may be looking to save money, but if she ends up chosen for a class or senior project, she will be volunteering a great deal of her time while students practice their communication , design, pricing, and bidding skills on her.

Though students compete with practicing professionals when honing their skills,, there was never any resentment whatsoever, except from the magnetic sign ilk. Those so called professionals who did landscaping or power washing or house painting (same truck, different sign), considered students serious competition.

The pros were glad to know that the caliber of people entering their field would be high. As an educator, I had all kinds of support from the pros, many of whom were thrilled to hire my former students.

• marcinde
    9 years ago

I think nancy set the tone with "No licensed architects, gardeners or scammers need reply.". But speaking as a pro and an educator, thanks for your feedback.

Sponsored