Greenfingers

The Serpent's Kiss

Angels and Insects

Edward Scissorhands?

Comments (29)

• Fori
    19 years ago

saving grace (is that the right one?)

it's not a garden movie but Sunset Blvd. features a garden with a great foundation. Apparently the home was torn down after the film...sad...

• bamboogrrrl
    19 years ago

Enchanted April

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Here is another Garden Restoration Forum thread from a short while back on the same fravorite garden movie theme:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/restoration/msg0215284820004.html?15

• ZephirineD
    19 years ago

The Secret Garden (Of course!)

• MNature
    19 years ago

In Greencard the apartment has a conservatory and the main character is willing to enter a mock marriage arrangement to get it.

• bamboogrrrl
    19 years ago

There are cool gardens in "Stealing Beauty"...

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Two gardening movies:

"Greenfingers" Inspired by a true story from a New York Times article about British convicts who discover gardening and end up entering a world class gardening competition. A feel-good movie shot in the great green English countryside.

"Saving Grace" Another British feel-good. The orchid raising scene in the greenhouse makes it worth watching (maybe).

• okprairie
    19 years ago

Jean de Florette - starring Gerard DePardieu, who was also in Green Card.

• JayEmVee
    19 years ago

Not really gardening, but still unbeliveably beautiful:
    Rivers and Tides, the award winning film about Andy Goldsworthy's art done with natural objects such as leaves, rocks, grass, twigs, etc.

• roseofsharon_on
    19 years ago

"Mutiny on the Bounty"
    Not really a garden movie but relevant to Garden History as it showed the conditions and circumstances of transporting tropical species from colonies to Britain.

I loved the Marijuana blossoming scene in "Saving Grace"

Sharon

• roseofsharon_on
    19 years ago

Ridicule

The location of this film is Vaux-le-Vicomte, mansion and gardens.

Tous le Matins de la Monde

Starring Gerard Depardieu and his son. A seventeenth-century French composer has his studio built in his orchard in rural France; his daughters tend the vegatable garden. Most of the action takes place in this pastoral rural landscape.

• The_Foliage_Kid
    19 years ago

Magic Schoolbus - an episode on compost or decay

• The_Foliage_Kid
    19 years ago

What______did you folks run dry on ideas?

How about that movie - don't recall the title, but I think Keannu Reeves was in it. He's pretended to marry a woman, whose family has a vineyard. It gets torched in the end, so they rebuild from scratch, using a surviving specimen.

Liked the lighting and scene where they were circulating the air with the white wing-like things.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

It was "A Walk in the Clouds".

• ginny12
    19 years ago

Sorry to be such a dimwit but I can't remember the title of the Merchant-Ivory movie that was filmed at Old Westbury Gardens on Long Island. That is one of my top favorite gardens in the US. Was it an Edith Wharton title? Hmmmm. Driving me crazy....

• ginny12
    19 years ago

Now I am thinking it might have been from an EM Forster book--or Henry James. Anyway, that era.

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

I just ordered Andy Goldworthy's film Rivers and Tides from Netflix - looks like it will be beautiful. Here is a short review:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bubakar/riversandtides.html

• botann
    19 years ago

Edith Wharton's garden and house has just been restored in the last few years in the Berkshires. I like the house restoration better than the garden by far. They blocked out the view of the lake completely. The lawn is real hilly on purpose and I would not like to mow it.

I like the movies filmed on the island of Kaua'i, the garden island. South Pacific, Jurassic Park, King Kong, Lord of the Flies, None But the Brave, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Thornbirds, Throw Mama From the Train, and Wackiest Ship in the Army, to name a few. I've been there enough times to watch for places I know in those movies.

I find myself looking at trees and shrubs in all films and TV to try and figure out where they were filmed.

• schoolhouse_gw
    19 years ago

My House In Umbria, which seems to be airing alot right now.
    Even the glider with the sunflowers on its awning,sitting on the stone terrace among the classical urns,ect., seems just perfect. I love the scenes where they create an "English cottage garden" for Mrs. Delahuntey.

• Aster_Qc_zone4b
    19 years ago

What a nice thread!

I especially like :

A Room with a view (another Merchant-Ivory film)
    Dangerous liaisons (by Stephen Frears)
    Ridicule (Patrice Lecomte)
    Mansfield Park (Patricia Rozema)
    Much Ado about Nothing (Kenneth Branagh)
    The Draughtsman's Contract (Peter Greenaway)
    Pride and Prejudice (the british tv serie)

And probably so much more that I can't think right now...

• SeniorBalloon
    19 years ago

Can't believe no one mentioned "Being There" with Peter Sellers. For once Gardeners are recognized for the genuis's we are.

jb

• gayle0000
    19 years ago

I like all the The Lord of the Ring movies for their plant/landscape/woods scenery. I especially love the hobbit village in the first movie.
    Gayle

• zucchini
    19 years ago

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers--quite the pods!!
    okay, I am thinking of weird ones..

and old one, that was in B&W formal Gardens..Last Year at Marienbad..

Martha/zucchini

• jenizone5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh Gayle...The Shire! I had read the trilogy so instead of paying attention to the plot as much as my children or my friends, I was watching the backgrounds. I also enjoyed watching the tree in Mithras(?) in the third film. When it bloomed my heart sang.

• gayle0000
    19 years ago

jenizone5...THE SHIRE!!!! I know, I know. I would move to The Shire in a heartbeat. Gayle

• SeniorBalloon
    19 years ago

That is a great moment when the white tree blooms again. Such a symbol of rebirth. The city is called Minas Tirith.

jb

• coachsmyth
    19 years ago

might I humbly suggest Mr Myogi's garden in the "Karate Kid" movies?

• kranberri
    19 years ago

I really liked the attempted murder-by-greenhouse in The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.

• gardeners_hands
    19 years ago

The 'Nero Wolfe' series on TV some yars ago, books authored by Rex Stout (brother of Ruth Stout). Nero Wolfe raises orchids in two rooms on the top floor of his brownstone, Archie does the sleuthing legwork. How I'd love to see that series all over again, I wonder if you can get it on VHS?
    GH

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions