Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Thornless Climbing Rebloomer for Container in Part Shade?

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi all, I hope it's OK to repost this question I originally posted over on the Antique Rose forum... but I'm just starting to hear about minis and I wondered it there might be a mini climber that would work for my specific needs.

I have a place in my otherwise boring concrete driveway by my porch that I've been trying to dress up. I originally had a bougainvillea there, but our winters in the East Bay are too cold and it died. (Also not sure it got quite enough sun there.) Right now, I have a large Camelia there which bloomed nicely this spring but it only blooms once and the summers are hard because I think it gets a bit too much reflected heat and too much direct sun to be really happy.

The container is fairly large, 24" around by maybe 30" deep, glazed ceramic...

Since it's my entry porch I want something with a "wow" effect if possible, if not for all the year then at least for a long blooming season.

I just had a random moment of, "hmmm... wonder if a rose would work here?" And it's OK if the answer is, "not a chance." I'm so new to roses that I really just don't know if this combination exists... and if it doesn't, the camelia is OK where it is.

Anyway, does such a rose exist?

1) Rebloomer

2) Climber. I'd love to get it up the side of my porch and it needs to be somewhat tall so the suburban deer don't try to eat it.

3) Thornless (or thornless-ish)

4) Would tolerate living in a container for-e-v-e-r.

5) Would tolerate some afternoon shade (but it would get more sun if it can climb above 5 feet tall)

I prefer the brighter cerise/magenta colors (hence the bougie.)

Thanks!

-kmama

Comments (3)

Sponsored