Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmac_2008

Your Black Jade secrets?

jmac_2008
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have two Black Jades that are essentially the same size since I acquired them in late March/early April. I've tried different locations, in pots and in the ground. One currently gets sun from 8am to 2:00 another from 9am to 6pm, but I'm careful not let its terracotta pot get overheated...

These plants don't grow, but they don't die either. There have been about 5 blooms between the two.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Comments (10)

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    15 years ago

How much do you feed them? I have one that is about 24" high

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello dan. After it was safe to start fertilizing, once or twice a week with less than full strength Miracle Grow for Roses. Other plants receiving the same treatment have grown normally or better than expected. These plants are less than 6 inches tall. :-( ?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Wait. Some roses take longer with top growth. As long as the plants are green at the top, they are growing roots. Be patient, many roses take up to 3 years to become completely established.

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks diane_nj. I will wait as suggested. ( I was ready to throw in the towel.)

I was wondering if their might be something particular about Black Jade. Maybe I need to do something different.

• C Schaffner
    15 years ago

I have one I've had for probably 10 years,
    it's been very small.

Finally, this year it has taken off. I don't know why, I am doing the same as every other year.

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks pelicanhead,
    Your Black Jade sounds like a very slow grower indeed. That's so odd that after 10 years it suddenly takes off! I'm encouraged.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    15 years ago

When you planted them did you check to see if the roots were circling around the pot? Sometimes not spreading the roots out will cause slow growth.

• jmac_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks dan,
    I think I spread the roots sufficiently, giving them the same treatment as I gave other rose roots. It seems the lack of growth only happens with Black Jade. When I moved them from pot to earth or vice versa, I noticed there had not been significant root growth either. If these two plants survive the winter, I hope to see growth next spring. Maybe I should try root stimulator or plant hormones next year?

• User
    15 years ago

'Black Jade' has never been a strong grower for me, either in the garden or the greenhouse. Frankly, I don't believe it can be coaxed into performing to my expectations no matter what I feed it or expose it to. I don't think I have ever seen a particularly attractive specimen.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    15 years ago

I grew Black Jade on it's own roots for a bunch of yrs. and could never get it to perform the way the other minis did. Then I made a bush on fortuniana root stock. BINGO!!!!Within 2 yrs I had a big beautiful bush. Some roses just need a little help. This one sure perked up with a good understock.

Sponsored