Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeniem_gw

New Seedlings and useable containers

19 years ago

Hi everyone,

Someone in a previous post asked how people were doing with new seedlings well because of the warm weather, I have so many seedlings popping up all over the place. Here are the ones that I have so far,

Easy Going X Gertrude Jekyll

Heirloom X Bronze Star

Peace X Heirloom

Gemini X Betty Boop

Gemini X Bronze Star

Gemini X Loves Magic X Scentimental

Gemini X Midas Touch

Gemini X Royal Amethyst

Brigadoon X Scentimental

Brigadoon X Bronze Star

Route 66 Seedling X Eden

Route 66 Seedling X Midas Touch

Angel Face X OP

Also I would like to share with you how I beat the spider mite problem. I am using these plastic containers that keep the humidity inside.

This first one is a plastic container that is upside down which I have a solo cup sitting on the lid with a seedling in it. The humidity builds up around the sides and slides down to the bottom where the water is absorbed up through the holes that I put in the bottom of the solo cup. It works out great because I never have to water this one.

{{gwi:1235576}}

I also use these cups and I used them last year, they also keep the humidity just right. I open them every so often to get fresh air in them. I purchased these at the local grocery store for 10 cents apiece with the tops included. They sell them with cut up fruit in them.

{{gwi:1235577}}

This is a solo cup with a plastic poland spring water container over top of it. I just cut the top of the container off and used the bottom.

{{gwi:1235578}}

Comments (4)

  • 19 years ago

    Lots of hard work there. Must surely give you a good feeling. Thanks for the ideas. I'm not ready to try rose seedlings, but I need to start some begonias, and I don't know what to do.

    I hate to go out and buy shop lights, even if they are cheap, and rig something up, but that's what people say works best.

    I've got tons of 16 oz. solo cups and could just put baggies or plastic over them with a rubber band. Those tops you have give a little more head room.

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks for the ideas. I have seeds stratifying, and need to get them planted soon. :-) What growing medium are you using? It looks like maybe a bit of sand on top? Do you do anything to prevent damping off or fungus?

    Thanks,
    Michelle

  • 19 years ago

    Good luck with your begonias Aliska, I don't know much about them. I suppose they would work the same way as rose seedlings. I keep mine under lights....but because I have so many I have been putting some on window sills and just leaving them outside during the day and bringing them in at night, the weather has been warmer than ususal.

    Michelle, the potting mix I use is Pro Mix but ran out of that now I am using some organic Miracle Grow potting mix I had left over from spring. I mixed a little play sand with it and yes I also put some on the top. I do not do anything for damping off or fungus. I've had pretty good luck so far. I have 4 plants from 2 years ago out in my garden that I started from seed this same way with the cups and they are doing great!

  • 19 years ago

    Here is my set up. This is an old book shelf and I drilled small holes on the sides inside so I can adjust the shelves as I want them. I am using two 20 watt florescent bulbs each on both top and bottom. The shelf is only 27 inces across so I cannot use the long florescent bulbs but this will suffice until I can get these outside, I hope. I know the pictures look dark but that is just the way the camera took the pic.
    Also I included a pic of the two different size solo cups that I am using.....7 oz. and 16 oz.
    {{gwi:1235579}}
    {{gwi:1235580}}

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz