Software
Houzz Logo Print
foci88

Need Help Choosing an Exterior Green Paint Color For Window Trim

14 years ago
I'm currently painting my house and am having a challenging time finding the right exterior green paint for the trim around the windows. The trim used to be British green (see picture) but now I want a softer shade of Sage Green. The body of the house will be painted a tad darker shade of tan than shown and the windows cream color. In the picture, the left window is current look and the right window has the new green trim color but it's too "pastel" looking and I want more of a sage green. Think "French Country" in style when finished. Any specific paint brand and color names are appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (60)

  • 13 years ago
    Paradise, Thanks it's a unique home and we are remodeling at the moment so I will post "after" pics when all is complete! I like calke green but it looks too "army" green for the look we're after. I actually prefer Saxon green instead of Calke but again both look very similiar to the Sherwood Green by Benjamin Moore. Here is the Saxon green link http://us.farrow-ball.com/saxon-green///fcp-product/100080
  • 13 years ago
    On my monitor it looks a little blue, but I know it is not, as I have the color in front of me.
    Maybe you haven't painted two coats. I didn't realize your home is in Florida; I'll stick with this green. I have used this color myself (interior) and I was very pleased with it. It is a very neutral color I discovered and looks great with pinks, reds, particularly Chinese red, mustardy golds, a grey stone fireplace, creamy glazed furniture and a light chocolate. Most importantly, it was easy to live with.
  • 13 years ago
    JudyG, this was just one coat to get a quick idea of color so I can decide. I agree, the colors all look very different on the monitor that's why this is so hard as I'm in CA & the house is in FL. I do think the Sherwood will lighten up the exterior and look nice at the beach where house is. Thanks.
  • 13 years ago
    I think the green you have will look good with a tan base. Love your house!
  • 13 years ago
    Here's another angle of house. Appreciate the compliments on the house. Landscaping is next task! We will go with the Sherwood Green.
  • 13 years ago
    That is a great looking house. Thanks for sharing!
  • 13 years ago
    Would you share the town? I was surprised when you said Florida. Love the house, so French Normandy.
  • 13 years ago
    Judyg, the house is located in a historic district called Pass-A-Grille Beach, FL (on Gulf of Mexico south of Tampa Bay Area). It's paradise!
  • 13 years ago
    Judyg, Again paradise!
  • 13 years ago
    It certainly is beautiful. I am really excited for you; I love the house and now I see the location, well it is paradise. Moving there permanently or vacation spot?
  • 13 years ago
    It's a vacation spot!
  • 13 years ago
    Thought I'd post an update of the paint progress...
  • 13 years ago
    Of course this paint was my recommendation, but I do love it, particularly for your location. What do you think? That's what is important!

    Thanks for the update.
  • 13 years ago
    judyg, The neighbors have commented that they really like the way the house is being painted. They like the lighter look. I'm so used to the way it was for so many years that I will have to be patient and see the whole house once the paint job is completed. However, I think the new look is more in line with a home at the beach in FL so I think it will draw quite a bit of attention! I live in CA so I'm a bit geographically challenged at the moment and pictures can be a bit off with color.
  • 13 years ago
    I really like the Jadite-style green. Very 1920's-40's, which might have been the time you house was built. If it wasn't, it certainly has more flair than most modern houses. Love the shaped chinmey pot and the finale on the turrent.

    The front door looks a bit off to me though. Was the little shed roof a later addition? I think you could paint the door and/or the storm a darker version of the green on the trim, or a color like the original trim, or a brighter touqoise type color or perhaps a sort of coral or orangy brick red color . It just looks too light to ground the house as it is, and a bit lost.

    Some large urns on top of the wall next to the steps (verdigris?) and some nice foundatiion planting would help too.

    Incidentally, it seems like most of the houses in France are very drab and unpainted stucco--not nearly as charming as I was expecting-- but I have seen some with this color trim.
  • 13 years ago
    Victorian, the house was built in 1930. Again, this is a home on the water in Florida so I'm happy to know you think the color scheme we're doing will look nice. I didn't even consider the "1920's-40's" idea with the lighter use of colors but thanks for mentioning that. I'm assuming when you say Jadite-style green you are referring to the trim color in the pic above of the round turret room? It had been the dark green trim color for many years but it needed lightening to evoke a home at the beach.

    The front door is original (attached close-up pic) and the awning is too. This picture shows the front door without the screen. We will no longer be using the screen as we like the window panes to show. We were planning to paint the door in the Sherwood Green or what I believe you are reffering to as Jadite green. However, I had the same idea as you to perhaps go with a darker green on the door. Perhaps Kennenbunkport green?

    The former landscape was removed so again you are seeing bare bone yard in the picture. The landscape will be simple with drought sun loving plants. Yes, large urns is the plan on platform on either side of door.

    Glad to know you saw this color green for trim. I imagine the further south one goes, it's probably more prevalent than other regions. I never made it too far south when I visited France but I really liked Brittany and how those homes all looked along the water. Thanks for your input!
  • 13 years ago
    We drove through Northern and Central France, and it is pretty monchrome most places, except maybe Colmar. Never made it too far South, which is probably a bit more picturesqe. Very dingy and run-down actually in the rural areas--I've been told that local neglect the outside of their houses to avoid high taxes!

    The color scheme you have is classic. Jadite is a popular color for the time--very similar to your trim, perhaps a bit brighter, and it was used a lot on glass kitchenware and old gas stoves and whatnot. Since the door is rather shaded and recessed, you could go with a slightly brighter color. I think a nice coral/bright terra cotta type shade would look terrific and be very period appropiate.

    Here is a reference on historic colors that might interest you. They actually were quite bold with color back when, and the low-contrast color scheme is very period (versus the high contrast (light/dark) ones that are popular now). Even though the tones were all medium, the color could cover quite a range of hues. http://www.arts-crafts.com/archive/achomes/color-schemes.shtml If you look at decorative arts, fabrics and wallpapers of the period, you will see some that are brighter as well. I don't know how to describe it, but there are certain color harmonies of the period that are very recognizable, and it is so nice to see a house returned to something of the period..

    I love early 20th century houses and have done a lot of research on them. I have thought about doing a similar color scheme, or perhaps something a bit bolder, on my own house, which has seen an extreme makeover ever 30 years or so since 1890, but is mostly Bungalow in character.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree. Gorgeous home and I think the sherwood lighter green looks perfect for the era and location of the home. Keep us updated.
  • 13 years ago
    Any ideas what color to paint the front door to make it inviting? As of now we were going to paint it Sherwood Green (like the trim) but perhaps a terra cotta shade to blend with the bricks would look good too? Or green color that is darker than the Sherwood Green?
  • 13 years ago
    Or perhaps a darker shade of a greenish grey color on the front door to pull in some of the grey color found in the stone side platforms?
  • 13 years ago
    foci88, I feel as if your home has become my god child! I think terra cotta would be nice and in keeping with what is happening with the green. I think BM actually has a color called terra cotta. Would you also take a look @ HC-100 Gloucester Sage, and BM 1414 super nova, which is a deep, deep purple? Love the french door. I have that for my front entry (12' of French door and i love the light).
  • 13 years ago
    A deep purple would look fab- and very french. Any chance you could plant some lavender out front?
  • 13 years ago
    judyg, there are so many different ideas on here that it becomes more and more interesting trying to decide paint! I looked at the above colors but I also found a color I really liked for the front door that would make a statement and pull in some of the gray found in stone side platforms on either side of front door as well as the tans & browns in the brick and roof. I think it also looks good with the body color walls and light green & cream trim. What do you think of the attached pic? It's called Benjamin Moore Stratton Blue #142.
  • 13 years ago
    I love stratton blue a lot, but I envision that with a watermelon red and very deep chocolate brown. How about BM 704 del mar blue?
  • 13 years ago
    Both are very similiar. In fact both say they go with BM Rural Earth & Alaskan Husky. I also pulled up Newburg Green HC-158 and that looks good with the light green too. Thanks for the feedback, it's helpful.
  • 13 years ago
    judyg, After really looking into it, I like the Terra Cotta Tile 2090-30 color for the front door. Thanks for the tip and when I went to the Benjamin Moore site and input Sherwood Green again, ironically the color they showed it went well with was the Terra Cotta Tile. I feel that it will tie in the brick step colors with the front door and make a statement.
  • 13 years ago
    Forgot to attach the pic of the Terra Cotta Tile Color 2090-30.
  • 13 years ago
    Like it a lot. Your choice is right on. Pix later?
  • 13 years ago
    Judyg, They already painted the door the cream color, same as the window panes. Originally it was agreed to be the Sherwood Green but they said it was too much green and didn't look right. I told them cream doesn't allow the front door to stand out so lets try the Terra Cotta Tile Color. I think they're upset but I want to make it look right. Hopefully this color will resolve the issue. Pics will be posted when they email them after they're done. Can't wait for the painting to be over with!
  • 13 years ago
    I bet you can't wait for a lot of reasons. Hold firm. You are right that the door needs another color, not the cream. When do you go to see the house in person?
  • 13 years ago
    i think the sage green you chose looks great with the biege, and as someone else siad add a couple flower boxes, which are easy to make and have them painted that color with hot pink flowers, i think that would lokk great.
  • 13 years ago
    Ok guys, I need your honest opinion about painting the front door in Benjamin Moore "Terra Cotta Tile 2090-30" (see pic) or leaving it how it looks in this photo? It is currently a very light cream color to match the window panes but I think it could be more bold. My gut tells me to paint it Terra Cotta Tile to coordinate with the colors of the brick front steps. Leaving it cream color makes it sort of fade away. Help?! I only have until tomorrow morning to decide, then the painters are finished! Please don't mention any other colors it could be at this point. I just need help deciding to leave it cream or go with the Terra Cotta Tile color. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and all the previous advice.
  • 13 years ago
    Paint it terra cotta....I have no doubt that it would look a LOT better.
  • 13 years ago
    Ditto! It also picks up some colors on the turret roof.
  • 13 years ago
    Ginger, love it! Also, if you look to left of black hanging sign you will see the door in the Terra Cotta shade of color that I painted my front door. Thank you for this great find and post!
  • 13 years ago
    . ?..... .gd
  • 13 years ago
    We went with Benjamin Moore "Baked Clay" (a terra cotta color with a bit more orange & less red) and are very pleased with the look!
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe you can blow it up or get a painting inspired from it and put it somewhere in your house--it is so beautiful!
  • 13 years ago
    btw... if you hold the mouse on the picture you will see the whole facade above the door.
  • 13 years ago
    Just perfect .Good job! Fun following progress. Thanx
  • 13 years ago
    Here's a picture of the finished trim to show how it turned out. Again, we are very pleased with the whole look!
  • 13 years ago
    Nantucket Grey ? We painted our entire house this color- and it has hints of green, grey, beige depending on the lighting! Might not be green enough for you though.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Good choice - it looks a million dollars better with the new door colour! And victorianbungalowranch I quite fancied having a go at painting the street myself!
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe you could post here if you do!
  • 13 years ago
    The house is now complete in addition to the exterior paint. Wanted to post the finished look! Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.
  • 13 years ago
    and a few more final pics...
  • 13 years ago
    Looks great, Love the little awnings. To tweak it a little bit, I would consider a darker tan/brown/putty type color on the half-timbered gables and the garage door.
  • 13 years ago
    Read the posts. The house is complete! LOL