Software
Houzz Logo Print
tinus_gw

how to overwinter rooted rosecuttings? help please!!!

19 years ago

Hello! I just removed all my little rooted roses (9cm. pots - cuttings taken in august)from the cold frame, bacause it is going to freeze at night, but...I don't know where to put them!!! They look fine, they have some new fresh green leaves, others show the beginning of leaves.

I've got enough place inside, but the window is small and the window sill has already been taken by seedlings.

I read about roses growing in the basement under lights, can anybody advise me an inexpensive light, that doesn't use too much electricity? I can also put them in the attic, under a roofwindow, but should I leave the light on,...I'm afraid the difference of temperature will shock them, it's a lot warmer inside,...What should I do?

I've taken rosecuttings again and they are in bottles on the table under the lamp, but,......

It is time to organize a rose growingplace!!!Can anybody help me? Thanks!!!!

Comments (7)

  • 19 years ago

    Tinus, how cold do you expect it to get? If it's just down into the 20s I'd put them back in the cold frame.

  • 19 years ago

    I do them in my basement under El' Cheapo shop lights. LOL I get them for about 7.99 - 10.99 apiece. I built a 'bed' a little bit bigger than a twin bed size and (sides and all!). Works awesome!!!

  • 19 years ago

    Can you install some heat source, such as a string of Christmas lights, into your coldframe?

    My rooted cuttings are having no problems with night temps down in the 20's. They have not gone even gone dormant. Outside temperatures are 0-10 normally, with small lights my coldframe stays 20-30.

    Cheers,
    Michelle

  • 19 years ago

    Try a spiral florescent light 40+ watts or more in a clip on reflector. Mine grow real nice under it. It costs 1/3 to run of a regular bulb. (incadescent) It does not put out heat so them must be kept in a warm area.

  • 19 years ago

    I second gawdinfever's shop light suggestions. I have mine in the luandry sink in the basement w/ 4 75 or 100 watt bulbs about 10 inches above them and they are getting buds.

  • 19 years ago

    What are shop lights, where do you get them, and do you use a timer, please? Like what do I ask for at Lowe's? Do I use the spiral lights (I like that idea, but the longer tubes might cover more sq ft).

    I've got some strong hooks and can drill in the rafters in the basement, so something on adjustable chains would probably work best unless there is a better way.

    I didn't want to mess with this, but I guess in order to start begonia seed, the best way to start them indoors is under lights.

    If that works well, I can set up something for rose cuttings.

  • 19 years ago

    Hi everybody, thanks for your replies!
    I did not get the lights yet, but for now my baby-roses are doing fine in the kitchen and in the bathroom,....the wether is suddenly quite warm, and I'm thinking of moving them back out.....but it can still freeze untill may....I noticed people doing hardwoodcuttings, leaving them outside during winter, so probably the temperature is lass important than the lights,...I'll try the X'maslights - since the holidays are over!!! I'm so happy to share this passion with others! Thanks again!!!!