Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mickleson

Variegated Kaffir lily?

Karen Mickleson
18 years ago

I found a photo of a gorgeous Kaffir lily with yellow-green variegation on the leaves. I'm trying to find a name for it. It has the traditional orange bloom on it. Anyone have an idea? I tried to post the photo, but it didn't save itself from the Arabic website where I found it as a jpg ;^((

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (5)

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's the photo:

Any name for this beauty?

Karen

• Garrickza
    18 years ago

Karen. It is really stunning. Variegated Clivias are fairly common and you get quite a variety of different variegation patterns.
    It is really much better to refer to Clivias by their correct name rather than the name you used in your post. The word kaffir is an extremely derogative term used to describe black Africans. In South Africa,the home of Clivias,we gave up using the term K----- Lily decades ago, but it appears to have persisted in North America. In our country the use of the K-word can result in defamation lawsuits as well as prosecution under our Hate Speech laws. It is really best to avoid unnecessary offense to black people when refering to a lovely plant such as a Clivia.

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Garrickza,

Thank you so much for educating me about this! Apologies for my unintended offense. Of course, had I known, I never would have used the term. I posted the same photo on the Name That Plant Gallery, with the thread title Name this variegated clivia (Kaffir Lily) cultivar?, and I plan to quote your comments there, as well, to help educate others who might come across it there.

They are apparently rather rare here in the U.S. A poster there provided a link which is, I believe, from Australia, and I've never seen such expensive plants! You are fortunate to live where they are common.

Best,
    Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated Clivia

• baci
    18 years ago

Thanks for your post, garrickza  I never knew that & appreciate the info. I think if more people knew that they would not use the term.

It seems strange that this variety should be more expensive than the red, yellow, & other varieties. It looks like the price is based on the degree of verigation. Does anyone know of an inexpensive seed source for these plants?

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

You can find an incredible array of variegated Clivia on ebay....they are being sold for the most part out of China and the sellers have a good feedback rating although I confess to have not purchased one yet....I am very tempted though....sooooo much cheaper than here in the states!! I am going to import a few different species from South Africa this May....along with a lot of Haemanthus, Nerine, etc., etc. Sorry this post was so late :o) Dan

Sponsored