Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

What are YOU harvesting now?

bakemom_gw
17 years ago

I just finished with perennial Alyssum Basket of Gold and am still harvesting the first flushes of Knautia. It looks like coreopsis, lunaria, columbine, and persian cornflower will be ripe in the next few weeks. Hooray!

What are YOU harvesting?

Comments (29)

• kilngod
    17 years ago

Just finished with grape hyacinth, spanish wood hyacinth...soon for perennial dianthus, astilbe...and acanthus (if I can figure out how to catch those seeds before they pop!
    --Tina

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

So far, only my Salvia "Lady in Red". The columbines are shaking and rattling, yet still green. They're next for sure, to be followed by the coreopsis, since the goldfinches have started hitting the heads ;)

• jim_6b
    17 years ago

I have Virginia bluebells, grape hyacinths, wild red columbine, chives and blue cornflower that I have collected so far. The only seed I'm collecting right now are orange gerber daisy. My wisteria bloomed this year and it has a lot of seed pods, but its going to be a while before they are ready. My Echinacea tennesseensis are doing really well this year. I'll probably have 300 blooms this year to collect seed from.

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

Okay; the columbines are opening and I started harvesting yesterday. So far, 9 5oz cups are cluttering up my florida room, and there's sooooo many more to harvest! I really have to chill out on harvesting them; there's just too many. I forgot that I already harvested the muscari hyacinths too, and just cut back my Salvia "May Night", so those heads are in a large plastic container, opened of course. All these heads are sooooooooo wet; I can't take this rain anymore :(

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So sorry to hear about the rain out east!

I harvested several varieties of coreopsis today along with persian cornflower. Yesterday I harvested some dianthus and summer sowed them. I also managed to harvest some Sweet William.

The Oriental poppies are ready too. Tracey, let me know if you need anything.

• Hollywog
    17 years ago

Hi Bakemom! I just started collecting this week and so far i have: black hollyhocks, poppies, portulaca magic carpet, nicotiana, larkspur, a bit of snapdragons, and some digitalis! I love seed saving! Now if I can just get them dried out and packed up without someone knocking them all over the place!

• elvis
    17 years ago

I've just harvested trollius europaeus, dianthus, and viola. This is a good thread--I would love early trades of really fresh seed...

Constance.

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Right now the only seeds I really know how to harvest are my columbines...........have soooo many........and my delphinium. I wish the other seeds were so easy to find!

Haziemoon

• SusanC
    17 years ago

I started harvesting a couple of weeks ago. So far, I've got

Centranthus ruber, "Jupiter's Beard", "Red Valerian"
    Abutilon "Flowering Maple" -'Rosalie'
    Nicotiana mutabilis
    Clematis, "Versailles"
    Scabiosa columbaria, "Blue Pincushion Flower"
    Pericallis X hybrida, "Florist's Cineraria"
    Salvia roemeriana, "Hot Trumpets"

• little_dani
    17 years ago

I have fresh daylily seeds, butterfly iris, Bells of Ireland, Giant hollyhock, butterfly weed (red and yellow) sweet peas, snapdragons, poppies, calendulas, sunflowers, sunflowers, sunflowers, zinnia, purple coneflower, orchid tree, and I am just opening some of the gourds that I grew last year. You have to let them dry thoroughly before you can cut them, lest they rot, so I am just now having the fun of harvesting those seeds.

I love saving seeds!

Janie

• gardenerrookie
    17 years ago

I am getting some Pansy seeds but do not know if I'm getting them too soon.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I started Lunaria over the weekend and got my first harvest of Larkspur! Coreopsis and Columbines are finished. The nigella has started to open in a few spots and I have dried a few nice trades.

• aaaccc
    17 years ago

I've been collecting several so far. California Poppy, Foxglove, Rose Campion, Daylily, Autumn Lollipop, Cleome, Cosmos, Zinnia, just to name a few. This is my absolute favorite part of gardening.
    Alice

• Kathy46
    17 years ago

Bachelor buttons, money plant (purple), nicotiana,
    columbines are all done.

• cribscreek
    17 years ago

Its my favorite too, but still just learning. I do have a bunch of candytuft, Siberian Iris, 4 o'clocks, and Blue Flax. Hope to start havesting much more in the next week. I got a late start due to the cool spring here.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have never harvested by blue flax, so you have one up on me. I am busy with Nigella and lunaria. The larkspur are starting to crack, so I'm following them. My hollyhocks aren't ready yet.

I really think this is the best part of gardening!

• katbird
    17 years ago

Just got a couple hundred seeds of petunia, can't remember the variety but I know they won't come true to the parent from what I've read about them.., columbine are ready, as is dianthus and so far that is all I have really looked at, my daylilies aren't ready yet, but will keep an eye on them.
    Also while thinking of it, do I have to cold stratify the petunias? I have never saved them before so this will be a first for me..
    Great Gardening!!
    Kathy

• celeste75
    17 years ago

I'm harvesting lupine seeds, Sweet William seeds, and red poppy seeds. Still waiting for the hollyhocks to finish. I also harvested seeds from my Johnson Blue Geranium.

• drippy
    17 years ago

Kathy, I wintersow my petunias - start them in pots outside in February (see the Wintersowing Forum) - works great! Sometimes you get lucky with petunias - I had a mix of Blue Daddy, Strawberry Sundae, and Prism Yellow that came back reliably for a few years. I discovered to my delight that my doubles are coming back doubles - not like the originals - my Pirouette Red & White is coming back a dark pink ("red" classification for petunias), but it is coming back as a double.

• jmarks74
    17 years ago

Zinnia ELegans (yellow)
    Zinnia Orange Profusion
    Purple Liatris

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hollyhocks
    Rudbeckia Sonora
    Heliopsis Summer Sun
    Plains Coreopsis
    More Lunaria!

• lis44
    17 years ago

Just got some petunia seeds yesterday, possibly Zinnia not sure their fully mature yet and some off one of my mom's mystery wildflower.

• Marie of Roumania
    17 years ago

i picked some violet seed pods this evening & put them in a paper coin envelope to dry. for the past hour, i've been hearing periodic popping inside the envelope, as the drying pods spray the seed. it's kind of awesome.

• Joyce Knight
    17 years ago

datura
    four o'clocks
    canna
    nicandra
    hibiscus
    Mexican petunia

• ranjana
    17 years ago

hibuscus
    petunia
    tiger lily
    daylilies
    lupine
    sunflower
    coneflower
    nicotiana

• rosebush
    17 years ago

hollyhocks
    coreopsis
    catnip
    monardas
    echinacea
    agrimony
    cucumber
    Mexican sunflower

• Amino_X
    17 years ago

Geneovese Basil
    Boston Pickler Cucumber
    A wierd Spearmint that I bought before I knew that real Spearmint is a sterile hybred, but I like the smell and the little bugs love the flowers.

Best Wishes
    Amino-X

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

Campanula persicifolia
    Cornus canadensis
    Meconopsis grandis
    Meconopsis x sheldonii
    Papaver croceum
    Primula auricula

Ian

• msprettyky