Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nberg7

Propagating Indigo Spires

nberg7
17 years ago

Well, my dog has done it again, and I have a piece of Indigo Spires about 12 inches long that I'd like to save if possible. My question is: better to try and root in water or in soiless mix with rooting hormone? Or...worst of all- is this a waste of time to try?

Thanks for any hints you can share.

-Nan

Comments (9)

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

As long as it is in an active state of growing, you should be able to root it in about 2-3 weeks. Use the soiless mix, with or without hormone. Don't use tip growth or woody stem for the portion in the medium, and make sure that the submerged firm green stem has at least one node with the leaves removed. This will allow subterranean branching to develop as the plant grows. The cutting need only be around 6 - 8 inches long.

• nberg7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Rich! I can't tell you how many plants I've had to learn to propagate because of big clomping dog feet. LOL There's always an upside: more plants!
    -Nan

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Don't do it in water... I had to get a cutting of indigo spires in water, I had no alternative at the time... it was a waste of time. :o(

• annette68_gw
    17 years ago

Hello,

Luckily Indigo Spires is one off the easy salvias to propagate.Imagine what would happen if your dog chose the ones that are not so easy to propagate.

Cheers Annette

• nberg7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Isn't that the truth Annette. She broke a different one off about a month ago and I never got around to picking up the stalk, so when it rained a bunch of mulch covered it in a few places. Lo and behold I have about 6 babies coming up off of that broken piece now. At least we know that layering works quite well with IS! I just thought I'd try the old fashioned way this time. Can't tell you how many baby hydrangeas I've had to grow from dog paw damage. :-)

Sorry about your water failure Heathen. Like that screen name by the way!

-Nan

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

thank you! I wanted to be a Dirty Heathen, but that name was taken. :D Well, now I have to buy another....sigh! :D oh well! I rooted a cutting off the old plant, gave it to my neighbor, but she's growing it strangely, it only has one branch, so I can't take a cutting off of it.

• annette68_gw
    17 years ago

Hello Heathen,

Be a devil, take a bit off the top off Lol.

Annette

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

:o) Yeah, I have thought that... as I have looked over the fence at it dreamily... but I've already ordered another, it should be here today! *crossing fingers* along with a van Houtteii (spelling) that I killed this winter.

• annette68_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Heathen,

My vanhoutti and indigo spires are thriving at the moment.2 very beautiful salvias.

Cheers Annette