Shop Products
adelpasque

Is this "Bantel's Sensation"

Hi,
I'm not sure of the identification of this sansevieria. I purchased it at Lowe's for $0.99 on clearance falling out of the class container without drainage in stones only. It was bound so tightly with rubber bands just above the root I was surprised it was alive. I think it's doing well now.

Appreciate the assistance.

Thank you,
Denise

• 10 years ago

Looks like a fine Bantel's Sensation to me! Lowes was carrying them where I live in Tennessee, as well.

• 10 years ago

Michaela,

I've been reading some of the posts and it seems to be that a lot of people have been finding it at Lowe's.

Thanks

• 10 years ago

I don't think it's Bantel's Sensation (BS) because the leaves look too wide, not folded, and no skinny stripes. Here's a photo from the internet I copied that I think looks more like BS. On the other hand the variegation is right - GWG. So I should probably go soak my head. Could it be Bantel's Sensational Sport'? I couldn't find a picture of B.S.S.

• 10 years ago

It looks pretty close :-)

I would say that it's planted a little deep. I'd remove soil from around the crown/rosette.

Josh

• 10 years ago

It's in a glass jar without drainage and I've been very careful on watering it. What I need to do is get it in a clay pot my favorite container. I won't plant it as deep.

Thanks,
    Denise

• 10 years ago

Denise, where is a picture, I may be able to I'D this plant, each leaf may be different and some completely white on one side. just leave them in the pot, do not divide this plant. It has narrow leaves, and grows tall. at least 18-24" grows like a trifasicata, or trifasiflora white and green colors only. please post a picture if you have the time.

• 10 years ago

If you are going to repot it do it while it is hot. All potted plants must have drainage and fresh air but no draft. When you transplant it may be set back. They don't like to be disturbed, they then must start over as a teenager and grow up again. No direct sun, put right back in the spot it was. I found the picture.

• 10 years ago

Hey Norma,

I was out of pots when I planted it in the jar. I put charcoal in the bottom to help. Now I have more clay pots. I can't put it back where it was because that's outside and nights are getting colder in MN and I'm in the process of bringing them indoors for winter. The photo of the garden shed (in process of painting) they were on the top shelf and the rain didn't reach that wall.

I'll add more photos what do you think about the id.

Josh how far should I bring it up when I replant. What kind of soil do you plant it in?

• 10 years ago

more of the crown

• 10 years ago

After purchase I divided into three containers. The two in glass didn't have any roots. I hope the photos help in id.

• 10 years ago

Hey!
    I use a coarse, porous mix of fir bark, perlite, turface, and red lava rock (scoria). The bark is less than a third of the overall mix, and the remainder is porous grit. Very fast-draining, but certainly holds enough moisture to go 2 - 4 days in the Summer here. During the Winter, I water thoroughly without fear of root-rot in this type of mix. I'll attach a pic that shows the most recent re-potting and the mix the Bantel's is in. I pot mine so that the whole leaf is above the soil-line, and I can just barely see the base of the rosette.

The largest of those three containers is too large for the plant, I think. I'd re-pot the one in the jar immediately.

Josh

0
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia