pondluvr

Morning Glory seeds

pondluvr

Hope I've got the right forum here. I am completely new to seed saving, and I am perplexed by something. I'm sure it is very simple, and somebody here can explain.

I bought a pack of Morning Glory seeds this past spring from Lowe's. There were many shades of pink and purple flowers. They were very pretty! I noticed when I initially planted the seeds in the early summer that there were about 3 or 4 different colors of seeds.

Well, I have been collecting the seed pods as they mature so I can plant them next summer. However, all of the seeds I am collecting look identical. They are all black. I am confused. My husband says they probably "cross pollinated", and next year if I plant them, I will probably get only one color of flower, whichever one was dominant.

Is this correct? If so, how could I have gone about getting the seeds to stay true to what they were originally? Like I said, I'm totally new to this, so anything you tell me will be appreciated and helpful.

Also, I'm assuming since morning glories reseed themselves and grow the next year that any seed pods I collect now, even after they've frozen, will still be good next year, correct?

Thanks a million!

Sandy