Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjsangel

Cranesbill Geranium for dry shade?

tjsangel
18 years ago

Hi!

I'm looking for a few good plants to fill in my partially shady, dry front flower bed. Would this be a good one to add? I've read it has a big taproot that makes it very drought tolerant, and it will bloom well in partial shade. Thanks for comments!

Jen

Comments (5)

• lisa03
    18 years ago

I'm not sure which geranium you are referring to as cranesbill is a common name sometime used for any geranium. Some need sun to bloom, some are not so drought tolerant. I think the best one for dry shade is geranium macrorrhizum (there are several varietys -- all good). This is a vigorous geranium and very tolerant of almost any conditions.

• waplummer
    18 years ago

I think there are many species that would do. I have many kinds in a bed that gets less than four hours sun. I think most if well watered until established would tolerate dry. My bed gets no additional water.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

The common wild geranium up here in the NE is geranium maculatum, and although it is fine in dry soil, it need a fair amount of light. It grows in the verge of the denser woods, and in open shade areas. A lovely native wildflower.

George

• magda
    18 years ago

It's a very good choice. Mine has taken over other plants on a raised bed under a maple tree. I am actually moving it to a very difficult spot in the front lawn- full sun, baking dry poor clay.
    There are many varieties- some have nice fall colour too.

• tjsangel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I am mainly looking at G. macrorrhizum, I want something that gets big with lots of color. Once the trees leaf out it will just be a little morning sun.

Jen