Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbwell_gw

Persian Plam Question from an absolute new-b HELP!!!

jbwell
16 years ago

Hey all,

first let me start by saying that I am ABSOLUTELY 100% new to the world of plants. I live in an apartment in Baltimore and, after discussing the basics with a kind lady at a nursery, decided to purchase a few plants to keep and grow in my house. After her coaxing, I decided on a Red Rubber Plant, a simple fern, and my pride and joy, a Persian palm. It is this last plant that I have some questions about. My persian palm (alocasia calodora) appears to be growing ok inside, in pretty much mostly shade. I do try to move it intop a window when I leave for work to give it some sun. But here are my questions (forgive me if I use the wrong terminology, as I'm still learning!)

My persian palm has developed the strange habit of dripping. Water will gather at the edges of the biggest leaves and drip off for some reason. I don't understand whats going on. I give it water, I've been told (by a novice like myself) to up the watering to like half a pitcher a day.

Would it drip from having to much or too little water?

Also, one of the stems at the bottom has wilted and is dying. Do I cut off the leaf? Do I cut it at the bottom of the stem?

In good news though, there is another sprout that is growing (rapidly) off of the largest stem so I guess I'm doing something right!!

To sum up, Id like to know:

How much water to feed it daily?

Does it need alot of light?

Whats going on with the dripping water?

How to cut off dead or dying limbs?

What else do I need to know to make it thrive indoors?

etc...

thanks all!

Jason

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH