Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davefrommd

Is there a reputable mail order for plants, shrubs. etc

davefrommd
16 years ago

Is there a reputable mail order company where I can order azailas, roses, shrubs, etc. I've read very bad reviews of mail order companies and am considering just buying local. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. dave

Comments (8)

• puzzlefan
    16 years ago

When I want to check out a mail order nursery, I go to www.davesgarden.com first. Even with reputable nurseries, there can be some surprises. I have found if the size isn't in print, it's small! I paid 10.95 for a clematis expecting at least a quart size but it was not to be.

• davefrommd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the good information. I appreciate it greatly. dave

• finchelover
    16 years ago

Always go local but I have also purchased from High Country Gardens about 3-4 years with very good results.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Bluestone is a good company for perennials and shrubs. I've ordered quite a bit from them and always satisfied.
    Ashdown Roses is great for roses.
    Homestead Farms for Daylilies, also Oakes Daylilies.
    Schreiners Gardens for iris

• darlene87
    16 years ago

How about Forest Farms and Heronswood? There are special nurseries for just about any plant you want, like hydrangeas. Just check Dave's first.
    darlene

• wildtek
    16 years ago

I'd suggest:

Van Bougondien (very good quality for the right price, some unusuals), Oakes Daylilies (price and selection), Blue Stone perennials-in Ohio (selection), John Scheepers bulbs (selection), Way side gardens (unusuals), White Flower Farms (pricey but good quality), McClure and Zimmerman (bulbs, some unusual), Gardens Alive (organics/biological pest control). I am not affiliated with these companies other then that I order from them.

• rigreenthumb1
    16 years ago

I have given up on Wayside Gardens. Don't be tempted by their beutiful catalog. The plants can come thru terribly. I have now made a huge puchase thru Lazy S'S Farm (Quart Size Plants) Expensive and S&H is expensive! I also purchased from Sooner Plants. I have bought from them before. They sell gallon plants. Their plant are very good quality. I am also trying Bluestone Perennials this year. I ordered one plant from them and understand the pot will be small, which I didn't know upon ordering. You can't take anything for granted. I found Lazy S'S farm and Bluestone thru Dave's Garden. I got sick of using Wayside as they have become very poor. I understand they are affiliated with Park Seed Company. Don't take anything for granted when purchasing online. Look into everything. I have personal reasons for shopping on line. Everyone has to do what works best for them. Happy Gardening!

• mekales
    16 years ago

You're getting the right idea...why spend money on plants you can't see?! Go to a local independent garden center, check the plants, see their health, look at the the root systems and buy with a guarentee! Most reputable locals' are more than willing to answer growing and species questions and offer replacements if something happens (which rarely occurs). My local greenhouses know me by name, offer me special buys because I'm on a first name basis. And if I'm not happy with something - they always make it right! Remember, they usually LOVE the plants like you do!
    Hope you have someplace like that in your area!
    Mekales

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus