Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbkenosha

Your thoughts or ideas for what to plant

hbkenosha
15 years ago

This is my first post, hope I do it right :)

[IMG]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q156/ttcheather/100_1680.jpg[/IMG]

This pictures shows it as only one garden timber high, we're making it 2 or 3 timbers high. Then will fill it with additional soil. It's quite shady due to the tree, but I believe dappled sun vs true dense shade.

I have a Hosta garden in the front of my house, so I'd like to experiment with other shade plants. Any ideas??

Comments (3)

• hbkenosha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trying the picture again. SORRY!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1254805}}

• adiantium
    15 years ago

A blank slate! I love blank slates and am a bit jealous. However I do not recommend filling in the the timbers with soil once you have the additonal timbers in place. If the tree were younger or a new planting, then I would say go ahead. But you have an established tree that has many feeder roots out in the timbered area. By placing additional soil on top you will bury these roots depriving them of the oxygen they need which will either injure or kill the tree. Take a lesson from me - I had an established red bud on a slope. All we did was put in a retaining wall and even up the slope, only covering half of the tree roots with up to six inches of new soil. The tree died within a year. I would suggest taking the timbers up to 3 as you want, adding in plants and then just mulching the area. As for plantings, are you looking for a green area like the hostas or to add color? Perennials, annuals or both? Possible perennials (I am guessing this is dry shade area because of the tree roots): Lady's Mantle, Columbine, Bergenia, Brunnera, a mat forming Campanula to hang over the timbers in spots, Coral Bells, Tiarellas, Epimediums, just to name a few. Annuals: impatients and begonias - and there are lots more.

I hope you post some pictures when you finish the project.

• sunnny
    15 years ago

I have hydangeas, fern, azaleas and a few day lillies with my hosta and it's so peacful and pretty. I also have (I think this is the name) Japanese sedge grass flowing over the brick wall in several places along with a few of the things listed above. My bed is LONG - about 80 feet - and is in good dappled shade/morning sun and a bright shade the rest of the day. It works great for me.
    I hope yours turns out beautiful.
    Sunny

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County