Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medontdo

OT have ya signed up for the...........

medontdo
15 years ago

OHHHH i wanted that sooooo bad round robin?? ok, its all about seeds, and i thought, "Hey!! why Not??" if ya just update your want list, then people will send you what ya want if they have it, and maybe, Just maybe you have a few things on someone's list :') LOL just thought i'd let ya'll know there's something cool going on!! **big grinn** ~Medo

Comments (29)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

But where is it, Medo?

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OOPS!!! LOL i didn't think about that???!!! LOL here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: WOW i wanted that seed

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

That was scary! They have so many rules and regulations and processes I just got completely lost. Looks like most of them want flowers, too...not vegetables.

I do wish we had an exchange here for just vegetables. Like I have a little list of a few things I'd like to try, but don't need an entire seed package full.

Granny

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok granny i found this again, by accident, LOL
    this site has a bunch of tomato seeds that you can sasbe, and she'll send you six packs of your choice and she has 1 of your choice still. you could check to see if you like any of the others? ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: barehanded totally nutso gardener

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Granny, I went to check your exchange page and it was empty. It might be easier to trade veg. if I knew what you were looking for.
    I often check ppl's pages to see what they plant and such. That way if I have something they want I can offer a swap.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Flood, I don't have an exchange page...that's probably why there wasn't anything there! Actually, I didn't know exchange pages even existed. I lead a very sheltered life outside of the SFG forum ;-)

I'm beginning this year with almost all new seed, and extending the size of my garden so I have no idea just how much of my seed I'll be using. I'm going to really push succession planting. I might try to get into the seed swapping next year when hopefully I'll be better prepared to start my own seedlings. I might still have to rely on nursery plants for my tomatoes and peppers this year, but that would be my interest in seed exchanges in the future.

Granny

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Typing up an exchange page isn't so bad. It's like a dream list and a list of things you are willing to trade for dreams.
    For instance after going to Medontdo's I will have to trade sometime with her. I will definitely need more veg. next year and have flowers to swap. Now that I am going to try sfg I figured I aught to check you all out as sources for more seeds :) I have lots of heirloom toms to plant and only room for one of each variety in my bed.

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

granny is looking for sweetie tomato, and tumbler tom tomato. yes, a dream list, notice mine is really long!! **grinn** ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I sent a SASE to Wintergrown (I think that was the website) for 6 varieties of tomatoes to try this year. I haven't got them yet. Hope I get home soon enough to get them growing, I might have around 8 weeks from the time I get there before they have to go into the ground. I noticed Connie's favorite last year was Sweetie, and I thought Tumbling Tom would be fun to try upside down in a hanging container.

Granny

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Granny: Baker's Creek also has a patio pepper that I might grab when I head there again. I second the request that you type up an exchange list. I felt really selfish doing it, but it's really just a wish list and shockingly, I've had folks email and ask me for some of the plain things I have in exchange for something weird I really wanted! I think gardeners are just more generous than other folks.

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i have to more than agree that people here are more than generous!! have you went and used the members services link on the bottom, and then clicked on the search members trade list, then check only the one for members with the seed, then type in the seed your looking for. which it should pull up how ever many people have that particular tomato seed. then you can email them and see if you have something that they want and sometimes they won't really want anything, just a few stamps for the seeds. you send the envi and the stamps to cover it, which if its the tomato you don't need to have the bubbly. so you could have it for 1 stamp. shoot, i'll see if anyone i have a trade with has it, then i'll have it as part of the trade, **onry grinn** i'm such a sucker for seeds, i think if they had seeds for dirt, i'd probably get it, just because!! LOL although, i'd have that one covered!! and rabbit hair!! its all over the place in here!! geeze, these two rabbits put off more hair than anything!! can't wait till spring!! out they go!! LOL ~Medo

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

is it the beef steak or the little one's?? because if its the beef steak one, remy has it.
    remy is really sweet!! she's a tomato lover big time!! LOL ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: people who have sweetie tomato

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I believe next year I will have seeds worth trading. This year I have mostly hybrids from last year when I had no idea what I was doing. This year I'm gathering all sorts of interesting varieties. If I save seed I'll have more than I need for sure.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Woo-hoo! A couple of weeks ago I sent a SASE to WinterSown, and today in the mail I got the following tomato seeds:

Black Cherry - 17 seeds
    Cherokee Purple - 25 seeds
    Brandywine - 12 seeds
    Tumbling Tom - 12 seeds
    Green Grape - 10 seeds
    Marglobe - 13 seeds
    Kellogg's Breakfast - 9 seeds

The next two weren't part of my request, but they also sent:

Miracle of the Market (tomato)- 25 seeds
    Nyagous - 25 seeds

Looks like I'm going to have a lot of tomatoes in my garden this year! And probably so will my next door neighbor :-)

Will blog on this subject tomorrow.

Granny

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

that is really awesome!! ;')) Just think How much fun you are gonna have!! **big smile** ~Medo

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I know how you feel Granny. I'm growing 6 varieties I know next to nothing about. Most of which I got from friends. How cool is that?!?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's tomato adventure

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

Green Grape is my favorite. You won't be sorry you planted it, but be patient!

Dan

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Dan, every variety there is new to me. I have room to plant at least one of each, so wish me luck!

15 years ago

Oh, wow, a.g. - you're going to be a happy camper. I grow the first three on your list too - yuh-um!

Dan

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Hey Granny, you just got called AG.....AG and EG - heh.

EG (aka "for instance")

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Does this make us twins, EG?

Dan, my dad grew green grape tomatoes one year, and I hope these are the same variety, because they were the best tomato I ever tasted...and the only one I could eat with no salt.

15 years ago

a.g. wrote:

"Dan, my dad grew green grape tomatoes one year, and I hope these are the same variety, because they were the best tomato I ever tasted...and the only one I could eat with no salt."

Ohhh, yes. Them's those. One year I brought in a bowl full to work and the next year probably a dozen people had it in their garden. That's how I got started on Red Currant.

:o)

Dan

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Twins.....Hmmm....Nope, I don't reckon. You talk funny, remember? Ha!

EG

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Granny, You will love Black Cherry. My favorite cherry type tomato is Sungold and it produces a little better for me, but Black Cherry has a very rich taste with depth.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

You guys are killing me. I'm growing Black Cherry because it's the best tasting. Then there's green grape that's the best tasting, and sungold... which is it? I can only grow two varieties, sheesh. hehe

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Sinfonian, I'll try Green Grape and Black Cherry, you try Sungold and ? (Connie says Sweetie is best). Then we'll meet in Ellensburg for a tomatofest when we have ripe fruits!

Granny

15 years ago

I used to live in Wallingford and Enumclaw, sinfonian, and Green Grape didn't do well for me there, as it never got the heat and the long season it needed (altho in SEA it was on a balcony...).

I like Black Cherry too because they get a bit different tasting if you put some in the fridge about a half-hour before they go on the plate. Everyone here raves about Sungold and I promised not to put any more toms in the garden... :o(

Dan

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

The year my dad grew them (in Lewiston, Idaho) he bought them by mistake. Someone had switched the name tag on the pony pack, and he thought he was buying his usual Super Fantastic. He was quite surprised when it turned out to be a green grape, but certainly not unhappy once he tasted them.

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sinfonian, if its because of space, why don't ya do the bucket thingi? then you could grow all 3? i seen ya have that privacy fencing, i'm sure ya could have one of those 2x4's up on it caddi corner. then hang a 5 gallon bucket thru the board, after of course planting your tomato bush, upside down, man, that would be awesome, have a bucket there for when they fall. Hee Hee ya know, for just in case. but that wouldn't happen in my yard. LOL my kids would eat them all up!! LOL
    but that would be great!! and you can get them for free at walmart in the bakery, they just give them to you IF you ask nicely :') i just got 4 of them w the lids. and they washed them. i told them they didn't have to. with a big smile. but the mean ol lady in the back told the young girl to wash them. usually they don't. just to let ya know. they are frosting. LOL **big grinn** man, my kids go for that!! sometimes i do. LOL
    ohhhh ya. but you cut the hole in the bottom of the bucket and put the plant there, then fill with the dirt and walla!! water from the top and it supposedly works like a dream. i always forgot to water them!! LOL it was a busy year. pregnant and all. maybe i might try that thisyear. LOL ~Medo

Sponsored