Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfanatic4

SFG layout

daylilyfanatic4
15 years ago

Hi, I tooksome of your suggestions and made a new plan I also updated my harvest hopes. I would like to know what you think of the plan now.

{{gwi:1261788}}

Harvest

pea: tell me how much

lettuce: 48 heads (1 head per plant

spinach: 60 bunches (1 bunch per plant)

broccoli: 4 heads 8 side shoots (1 head 2 side shoots per plant)

cucumber: 96 fruit (12 fruit per plant)

tomato 12 plants 3 in containers 9 in ground 1 per square 150 fruit 13 per plant

pepper 16 plants 1 per square 144 fruit 9 per plant

watermelon: 3 fruit

bush bean: tell me how much

Thank you everyone.

Comments (8)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Sorry to say I can't quite make out what you mean by your notations on your chart. I can tell you gathered tons of great information, but without a legend or key, I'm afraid I can't help much.

However, with 14 SF of peas, you should have tons (a few gallons I'd say). Make sure you harvest them often or they will peter out on you. I made that mistake.

Bush beans not so much. I understand they only produce for a few weeks than stop, so succession planting is good. However, maybe Granny can expand on her idea of cutting them down to get a new crop.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Sinfonian, I read that on another forum last year, and it worked! When the beans stopped bearing, I cut them back to the second node and they put forth another crop. I'm not sure it was enough to fool with though, I'm just going to do succession planting this year. Remember, I got a late start last summer, so didn't have time for much succession planting!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1261790}}
    ok here's a legend

I forgot to mention that I'm only plaaanting 3 plants per square foot with the peas how much is that going to cut my harvest

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Ah, you're interplanting peas with cukes and tomatoes. Interesting. I've never thought of doing that. I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Cutting the pea plants to about 40 if my math is right this morning, will give you a meal or two for a family per week during the harvest season for peas. I planted 32 and got slightly less production than that. Of course, they may produce more per plant if you're giving them more space than 8/SF.

Good luck.

• daylilyfanatic4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not exactly going to interplant the peas with the cucumbers and tomatoes since the cukes and tom's will be trasplanted only a week or two before I chop down the peas.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

IMHO: you have a maximal number for the watermelon. I only managed one melon per plant when they were 1/sq ft. You can trellis them, but the roots will only support so much fruit at that measure. 'Course I'm new at this, too.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Ah, so you're showing your succession planting all on one page. Got it. Makes sense now. Thanks and enjoy!

• gardener_mary
    15 years ago

Bush beans are good if you want to have a large harvest all at one time to can or freeze. If you want a continual harvest pole beans are a better choice. If you plant all lettuce and spicach at one time you will be harvesting it all at one time. 48 heads of lettuce and 60 bunches of spinach seems staggering to me.

Good gardening, Mary

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County