Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chagrin_gw

Weird Tree in My Yard

chagrin
16 years ago

I have a weird tree that turns an incredibly vivid red in fall. I always thought it was some strange kind of Asian pear with smooth-skinned, yellow, knobbly fruits, hard as a rock, that never ripen on the tree. Last week a visitor identified it as a quince-pear hybrid. Does anyone else in the ABQ-Los Lunas area have one of these?

Comments (2)

• wineandlobos
    16 years ago

that sounds new to me,how long has the tree been there and have you tried the fruit.

• chagrin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When I acquired this place 17 years ago it had been effectively abandoned for some years. There was a sad little orchard with apples, apricots, cherries and pears--all dead or dying. This is the only tree left, and by now it is more than half gone. I believe the orchard was planted sometime in the early 1960's. The fruit will stay on the tree all winter unless the wind knocks it down, but still it does not ripen. So I pick it in November and leave it for a month or two. When it just starts to get a little less hard, I make preserves or just cook it until slightly soft and then freeze it. When cooked, it acquires an almost light, pear-like flavor.