Software
Houzz Logo Print
devidigs

Please tell us what a seed swap is like!!

20 years ago

Hello there,

Being new to this forum, could some of you who've been about here for a while share your stories about plant swaps.

Here are some questions to add to your thoughts:

In what form(s) do folks bring their plants to swap, seed bags, bare root, etc.?

Do we carry our plants around? or does each person have a space/table/blanket on the ground to save their picks and share their abundance?

Do we bring refreshments for ourselves or pot luck to share?

Do we get to make our own name tags?!

Is there certain "plant swap" etiquette or protocol? etc., etc.

I'll even ask the questions that shy people want to know about.**Since many gardener souls are very easily solitary life adventurers and such, how do folks who are shy and all blend in to the melange of plant lovin' energy of a plant swap? Some others of us are probably very outgoing, and everything in between.

Hope this is enough to get a wonderful thread going.

BLiss and blessings to all,

Devi (sounds just like Davie)

Comments (8)

  • 20 years ago

    Devi, Each swap has it's own personality. Some require a "trade for a trade", while others are much less structured (but everyone still goes home with lots of stuff!).

    Let me see if I can answer your questions as best I can:
    Nametags - - most swaps will either provide premade nametags or the "make your own" adhesive ones. If you want to make your own ahead of time, that is ok.

    At most swaps, folks will either trade out of the back of their vehicles (if space allows for the vehicles to be close), or they will carry their plants to a common area - - arranging individual trading areas. Most folks will bring chairs and a table or two.

    Folks will typically visit other folk's trading area - - where folks will offer plants and you can offer a trade in response.

    Each swap has it's own plant trading protocol. Either ask someone when you arrive or email the host ahead of time.

    I remember my trepidation at attending my first swap. I drove 5 hours to meet and swap with folks that I had never met before. Within a very short time, I felt perfectly comfortable meeting folks. Swap folks tend to be very embracing - - and will usually go up and introduce themselves to newcomers.

    Food arrangements are different at every swap. If you watch swap threads, food arrangements are indicated ahead of time. At most swaps, you should bring a smaller cooler and your own drinks.

    Plants and seeds are brought in a variety of methods. Some folks go to great efforts to have everything neatly potted up, while other dig and divide right before the swap with the plants in any container/bag imaginable. The most important thing is to have EVERYTHING labeled prior to the swap. Some swaps will have a "prearranged trade" thread or email list where folks can list what they are bringing or searching for -- and you can sign up to swap items ahead of time. In those cases, you need to have the items labeled with the recepient's name and separated from your general trade items.

    Ione/Amazondoc came up with a great idea at the fall swap where she had a table of plants that said "TAKE ME" and another table that said "SEE ME TO ARRANGE A SWAP".

    Even shy folks tend to be outgoing when they are around other fellow gardeners. One thing that never fails to amaze me is that gardeners come in all sizes, ages, colors and economic backgrounds - - but the love of gardening makes us friends.

  • 20 years ago

    Devi shoot me an email at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net and I'll hook you up with all the particulars about the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap. Ask me as many questions as you like and I'll give you some kind of a halfway decent answer. You can also visit our webpage at http://www.midtnplantswap.com/.

    We would love to have you attend and bring as much stuff as you can haul. The Spring swaps are always larger than the Fall ones so this will be a great opportunity for you to meet 100 folks that you've never met before, eat some awesome vittles, hear an incredibly intelligent and experienced speaker and take home tons of plants. Plus, it's all FREE! How cool is that? Where else can you get that kind of deal? If you come to your first one then you'll come to each and every one thereafter.

    Jeff

  • 20 years ago

    For directions to the middle TN plant swap, you can go to buffalocanoeing.com then go to the directions page. Coming from east TN you might want to follow the directions
    from Nashville. If that isn't the direction you will be coming from, then email me and I will help you find directions that will help you.

    You will find the people at our swap very easy going, I guess we are one of the more less-structured ones. We have a pot-luck lunch at noon that everyone contributes to.
    We also have door prizes that anyone can contribute to if they want to receive a prize, as well.

    The info you get from Jeff will be tons of help. So be sure and email him.

    Hope to see you May 20th for the middle TN plant swap.

    Jan

  • 20 years ago

    Ok, Jan tends to exaggerate when it comes to me! My info won't be tons of help but it will suffice and I'll do all I can. The only thing I have in tons is waist and that doesn't help anybody, especially me!

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks for posting this Devie...as I a a newbie to a trade show....(I like calling it that) LOL I am hopingto have a few thing's as I am trying my hand at WS....only problem is I am running out of container's..LOL I can't make the middle TN swap..too far to drive...but hoping to make the TWO East TN ones...:))

  • 20 years ago

    Trade show is a fun name for a plant swap!
    Since last year was my first personal garden for many years, I am enjoying the process of coaxing the seeds of Blue Heaven and Moonglow Morning Glories, as well as Cardinal Climber, from their dried vine.So for my innaugural swap, I'll be sharing those. Would some people like to have plants already started in peat pots? or is just bringing the seed sufficient?

    Do any of have some fun short stories to share about things that happened to you at a Plant Swap/Trade Show?

    Devi

  • 20 years ago

    Devi: Have a look at the gallery below to get a feel for a swap. Most of the people who attend these are very open and accepting. Newbies are made to feel welcome and usually by the end of their first swap they feel right at home.

    As for the shy people....well, I hide behind my camera. *grin*

    Middle TN 2005 Spring Swap.

    (I still haven't taken the time to process and post the Fall swap...but as you can see, I take LOTS of pictures.)

  • 20 years ago

    We always have loads of folks attend from the lovely eastern portion of our state. Don't be bashful! Load up the car/truck and come on down. Jan has plenty of room for camping. Actually, I think that our folks from East Tennessee have more fun than the reast of us BECAUSE they camp!

Sponsored