Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropichris

neanthe bella in terrarium

tropichris
15 years ago

hi all;

just got a neanthe bella for my lizard/frog terrarium. I was wondering if it would eventualy flower in a very humid (85-90%) and warm (75-85 oF) terrarium. Could the lizard and frogs, which are a green tree frog, gray tree frog, and green anole, knock off the flowers? I have heard that this is one of the few palms that will flower indoors. it is growing in bright shade. The terrarium is a large (maybe extra large) Exo Terra terrarium.

Sorry; i cant include pix, because i dont know how to include them. Ive tried, but it doesnt work for me.

Thanks

~ Chris

Comments (4)

• paul_
    15 years ago

1st: Hello! Welcome to the forum. Don't be put off if things move slowly here. Seems once folks get a terr up and running they only pop in sporadically. Not surprising really. One can only have room for so many terrs and since generally the goal is to make them as maintainence free as possible........

2nd: Considering that plant will get to be 2-4 ft in height and 3ft in spread, your terr won't be large by its standards ;) But since they are supposed to be slow growers, you will still hopefully get lots of yrs out of it before it gets too big.

Next: By 'bright shade' you mean...? Just curious since what to our eyes is "bright" often isn't by a plant's standards. Also be aware that palms, when grown indoors, tend to be very prone to spider mites.

Finally, probably the easiest way to post pics:
    Open a free account at photobucket.com -- see link below. Upload your pics. Under the pic Pb will generate a series of links/codes. For this forum, use the code with "". Copy the entire code including the greater and less than signs and paste it into your message here, and voila! you have a post with pics.

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    I grow 5 kinds of Chamaedoresa but only elegans in a terrarium. This is by far the most tolerant of the whole family. have never seen one flower below 2 feet and they can top 6 feet in ideal conditions. I grow them in the shadehouse as well as yard plants where there are hundreds if not thousands of lizards snakes bugs,,you name it .
    They still seed like crazy so must not be doing too much damage??
    Paul
    Know of any good "terrarium " websites . I'm converting my leaky 150 aquarium because I don't knoew what else to do with it. I need mechanical info as I intend to keep it outdoors in the shadehouse. So will have all the normal problems along with a bunch of "abnormal" ones .
    Most sites I've found sdeal more with the animals rather than the equipment. thanks gary

• paul_
    15 years ago

Actually, Gary, as I recall, there are some old posts on this forum that do go into various aspects of construction. Have you done a search?

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Have found nobody keeping a terrarium outdoors with all the accompanying problems . I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't already in place and it takes up soooo much room.
    Two problems have me particularly perplexed . How do I heat it without overheating.?? The other is water accumulation during rains.?? Obviously some kind of lid but thin glass breaks, thick glass is too heavy for the size I need. Plexiglass discolors very quickly. And of course a lid will keep out the water but also keep the heat in lol. Again a fan but what kind can take getting submerged or at least wet??
    As an aquarium it worked way beyond my expectations used a standard aquarium heater, vinyl framed fiberglass screen as a lid. None of this will work as terrarium of course.
    I found a site called the o"orchid board " which seems to be promising for mechanical info. Nothing in particula relating to this method but sure the most info I've found on terrarium culture. Thanks gary

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH