Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vjeanes

New User Name

vjeanes
18 years ago

I had trouble logging on a couple of days ago under Wild_Rose and finally wrote for help asking "what's up?". I never got a response from my question, but the next time I tried logging on, I had no problem and I assumed whatever it was had fixed itself. It wasn't until a few minutes ago that I noticed my user name at the top of the screen is now vjeanes. Weird. I probably would have chosen a different name had I been asked, but I'm not complaining. I'll see if I can change it to something else, but for now, I'm just happy to still be a part of the group.

Comments (11)

• pat_knox_tn
    18 years ago

vjeanes, Just discovered that my user name has reverted to the original one that I chose when joining "Garden Web".
    I enter my second user name plsgrow and find that it takes me to the original user name.

Obviously a number of things have changed on Garden Web during my absence.

Pat aka plsgrow

• vjeanes
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wonder how many of us this has happened to? It shouldn't effect anyone who has never changed their user name, but those of us who have will be unrecognizable for while until we get used to the changes or iVillage fixes it. I did notice that I had to use "wild_rose" as my user name when I logged on, but "vjeanes" shows up as my user name both on forums and on my member page.

Any of us who have ever had a web page know how easy it is to make a mistake that's hard to fix. And, I assume this is a mistake the webmasters are probably pulling out their hair over. The only thing that disturbs me is I've lost my trade list and journal. I wasn't actively trading and haven't uploaded any flower photos in a long time, but should I decide to start trading again, I'll have to start from scratch, and I didn't keep a record of which photos I'd uploaded. Oh well, there's nothing like making a fresh start with the new year, and I did need to update that list.

I did write the "Powers That Be" and requested a name change after posting here. If they allow that, I will have a new name, but not the first one. I'll still look like a new member like others have for a while until y'all get used to the new me.

• vjeanes
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, another thing I just noticed on my member page... the e-mail link has dissapeared even though I have authorized it to be visable to members. Pat, yours isn't on your page either, and I wanted to send you an e-mail.

• decolady01
    18 years ago

The main thing I am noticing that's different is that I have to log in every single time, even though I check the box that says to keep me logged in. :-(

• vjeanes
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I noticed that too. It's probably a way to save bandwidth on their server.

I found an old post of mine still listed under Wild_Rose and when I clicked on my user name, my member old page appeared along with the exchange list. I had written some HTML code so the list was invisible, but was able to "view source" and save everything on my computer. It's going to be a task to get the list back on, though, and since I'm not trading right now, don't think I'll bother.

• vjeanes
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've found the e-mail addresses - at least of members who have not been given a new user name in the last day or so. The e-mail contact is no longer on our main member page but is inside the "Journal". Both Pat and still have member pages under our former names and our e-mail is in those journals, but but not on the new member pages. I can be contacted through my webpage too. I'm hoping this is a temporary situation that will be fixed soon. Can't you just hear those keyboards clicking away in the iVillage office?

By the way, is the "mailing list" link at very the bottom of the GW home page new, or have I just missed it? I tried clicking on it to see if maybe that's were we should go for member contact info, but it just took me to a log-in page and then to the page to edit personal information.

• plsgrow
    18 years ago

Hi vjeanes, glad you found my e-mail address and hope it works. Whether it was the site or my yahoo e-mail, there were several people I anticipated hearing from last sping/summer but never did. I didn't pursue it because I didn't know the reason. If GW or iVillage notified me of the changes to this site, I didn't get that either.

Like you, I did not lose any information from plants available or my journal as there was nothing in there.
    I do plan to post some items soon. I may have to sacrifice some great roses because spraying is now out of the question. Long story.

You wrote "Any of us who have ever had a web page know how easy it is to make a mistake that's hard to fix." I spent most of Monday morning fixing all the broken links on my geocities/yahoo website. Seems geocities dropped the original address and changed it to just my user name, making all links un-useable. Wonder if that would have happened if I upgraded to a web site that I paid to maintain. LOL.

Garden Web has been a tremendously valuable tool for me and I hope it continues to be as user friendly as it once was. So much assistance and information on everything from Roses to tomatoes.

Thanks for responding and attempting to straighten out the User Name condrum.

Pat

• plsgrow
    18 years ago

vjeanes....Duh, I only just realized that I have my original identity back. I was beginning to feel disenfranchised. LOL.

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

How about that - I'm back to being wild_rose again too. What a relief. I wonder if others have been having problems too and that's why this forum has been so quiet.

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Well I seem to still be me. Glad to see you both back to being yourselves !!

• plsgrow
    18 years ago

HiYa, smokymist! Ha! Just goes to show that wishes do come true (back to being myself again), at least on-line.

Speaking of New, I tried yesterday using the e-mail addy for contacting iVillage for opt out purposes and the e-mail was returned by that fiend Dameon. E-mail junk I can cope with but they don't make a program that will keep all the junk mail out of my rural mailbox. All those lovely trees, wasted.

Pat

Sponsored