Software
Houzz Logo Print
annalily2005

when to plant?

20 years ago

Hi, I just moved back to Knoxville from FL. I have lived here before but never gardened here so I don't know when to do what. The house we bought came with a nice little perennial bed including roses, daffodils, daylilies, mums, and probably some other stuff (we moved in in December).

When do I prune roses? I know in Pensacola we were told Valentines day but I always had to do it earlier because they would be putting out tons of new growth. mine are doing that here too! Can I do it now? Seems awful early but I don't know.

When can I plant lily bulbs? Yes, fall is probably best but I won't wait that long. I have to at least get a few in the ground.

If someone can suggest a good site with some basics like this I am happy to find my own answers. I just need a little nudge in the right direction, as I'm having trouble finding the answers.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

  • 20 years ago

    Ok, I just found Wild Rose's To Do list!
    Thanks! That is what I was looking for!
    "Watch for Forsythia in bloom before pruning roses. Do not prune hybrid tea, grandiflora, floribundas or the new everbearing roses until late February or March when Forsythias are in bloom."
    My neighbor's forsythia is just beginning to bloom. :)

  • 20 years ago

    I'd wait until that Forsythia is in full bloom... we've got some cold weather forecast for next week.

    Hey, I'm glad you found my to-do list. My DH will be impressed that someone else besides me looks at it. Sounds like you're still looking at the January list. The February one went up yesterday morning.

    Southern Living's Garden Guide might be just what you need. I'm not sure how the instructions in the book I use would translate to the Knoxville area, but if you can find it, the book "The MidSouth Garden Guide" will answer most of your gardening questions. It was published by the Memphis Garden Club and is available at most local Garden Centers here. You might need to adjust the timing just a little since Memphis is a little warmer than Knoxville, but still, it has lots of good information. It has a section with things to do each month, lots of good lists, and detailed growing instructions for popular plants like roses and camellias, and a couple of pages on lilies.

    The best time to plant Oriental and Asiatic Lily bulbs is mid to late November, so you're a little late. You could try storing your bulbs in the fridge until spring if you're timid about planting them outside in February. Lilies never go totally dormant so you shouldn't try to store your bulbs at room temps. You could plant them in a container and leave it in an unheated garage, but you'd probably be safe in planting them directly in the ground since the planting hole needs to be about 9 inches deep (they should have 4 to 6 inches of soil covering them) and the ground probably won't freeze that deep.

    Good Luck!!!

    Here is a link that might be useful: My February to-do list

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks, Wild Rose, your list is very helpful!

    I will probably order lilies in the fall, but may get a couple to tide me over till then. We didn't move in until December so I didn't really have the option to plant them this fall. Well, would have if I had planned really well and knew when we'd find a house, etc.
    I had several lilies in FL and most were spring planted. That is because I hardly ever plan well and spring is when I feel like gardening. I'd rather not try to keep them in the garage till fall. Since they are never dormant.

    I forgot I actually have a Southern Living book which will probably be very helpful! Haha!

    I enjoyed your site, WR, and am going to read your February list now! Thanks.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths