Software
Houzz Logo Print
geneo74

It's time

19 years ago

Hey Tennesseans, where you at? Are you all busy planting those tomater seeds and getting your florescenceÂs out? LetÂs hear what youÂre seeding. Yes, I know itÂs cold but it is time to do it. IÂll be starting mine this week. Since moving to town I havenÂt been doing my own seeding but the last two years of poor tomatoÂs has prompted me to get back to basics.

Comments (11)

  • 19 years ago

    Yes it's about time. I follow the advice from the pro's around here. They start at the end of Feb. I have a few up that will go into pots on the deck. The main crop of tomatoes will be planted Feb 28. I have a couple of trays of onions up and doing ok, they can be set out sooner than the tomatoes.
    Norm

  • 19 years ago

    Hi here maternut, yea those onions can go in the ground early. Thinking about starting some lettuce inside, simson, & romaine. Do you know how long it will take them to be ready to go in the ground?

  • 19 years ago

    Yeah it's finally time! I have onions, chard, cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli up and under lights now. I will start tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and a few other things the first of March. Now, if someone can convince the weather that it's time to warm up!!
    Ernie

  • 19 years ago

    You know that you can also winter sow garden seeds...well flower as well, all winter and have really hardy plants when its time to put the into the ground. If you aren't familiar with WS, go to that forum here on GW. Be sure you read all the FAQ.

    'Maters do really good winter sown.
    Jan

  • 19 years ago

    This is my first year to plant a garden. I have patio tomato, broccili and lettuce growing under lights now. I have already bought spinach and early girl tomato seeds but I haven't started them yet. I don't really know when I am suppose to start what. I don't even have the garden tilled up yet. The past few weeks have been too cold for me to be outside.

  • 19 years ago

    Okay,

    So it looks like I'm the over eager one this year. I have turned my 'Dining room' into a grow room. . . . .

    It all started very inocently the last week of January with two containers of lettuce mixes. Then spread to starting my tomatoes (the heirloom mix, the cherry tom. mix and Jubilee)the next weekend from there it just seemed fun to start some herbs (cilantro, chives, basil, mint, oregano, thyme, rosemary) a few container peppers couldn't hurt so I got the 5 alarm hot mix and had to plant a enough to get the mix.

    I then realized that I could start my container plants for my patio . . . spacemaster cucumbers, onions (red and yellow), garlic, radishes, carrots (little fingers) and spinach. Oh, my! I guess that it couldn't hurt to start just a few Kohlirabi, Bell Peppers, eggplants and oregon snow peas.

    I am still have my seeds for my yellow squash, zuchinni, icebox watermelons, sweet and early canteloupe that I am making myself wait for (cause I really do know better). Not to mention ALL of the flowers: Morning Glories (for a muddy hill), Coleus, tons of Sunflowers, poppies, daisies, and a few others.

    I have already lined up a few friends to take some of the seedlings off my hands. I really wasn't expecting soo many of the seeds to actually come up!! I've never had a yard before that wasn't attached to a major highway (smog, yuck) or that got the right amount of sun (darn north facing mountians). So, I'm having a bit of a problem passing by the seeds with out picking some up. Thankfully my husband is enjoying our 'little jungle' next to the kitchen.

    I know that I really should wait for most of the plants but I just can't seem to help myself. I guess you could say I'm a little green this year.

  • 19 years ago

    Now you guy's have got me all fired up. Plantd my tomatoes a week before I wanted to. Sure is hard to ignore this nice weather. While going through the seeds found other things that needed to be planted so all was not too bad.
    Norm

  • 19 years ago

    Yip, started my tomaters this week also. Just threw them in a flat pot, IÂll be transplanting to individual pots; hope it stays warm enough that wonÂt have to transplant again. Did fall plow but like to give the ground a shallow going over before planting. It all depends on how wet it will be getting. I use five-gallon buckets with their bottoms cut out for a protector, when the old weatherman gives a frost warning the lids go on. Believe I have only gotten into trouble once with this method. 1 Apr + or  is usually my target date, just depends on the weather patterns. Of course IÂm only about 25 miles from the Alabama border. Good luck all.

  • 19 years ago

    Sounds like there should be plenty of veggies for ya'll to bring to the MTPS!

  • 19 years ago

    Was looking at the MTPS map directions, it looks like their directions are a necessity because going by the internet maps no roads go there.

  • 19 years ago

    Geneo if you'll contact Jan or me we'll make sure you get there. We do have signs that will be up too.