Software
Houzz Logo Print
rue_2

new to Tn.worried about humidity

20 years ago

hi we moved to crossville Tn.from the west coast WA.I am very homesick,and want to pour myself into gardening to see if that will help.I have a lovely spot lots of sun and good soil,met the beatles last summer ugh! also not as much rain as I hoped for.we dont have summer humidity in washington,Iam not sure how much humidity effects gardening,vegies I think should be ok but what about roses? or other flowers, herbs,I will be greatfull for any input.

Comments (7)

  • 20 years ago

    I'm fairly new to TN also(from NJ originally)), this will be my third summer here. Personally I feel I'm more bothered by the humidity than the plants (I hate weeding in July and August, it's pure torture) but I do have to watch my black-eyed susans and my roses. I spray them both with anti-fungal spray and they're okay but if I don't spray them they get black spot on the roses and some other fungus on the susans. The exception to that is my vining roses, I don't do anything to them and they just keep growing and spreading like weeds.

    Good luck and when you feel homesick focus on the advantages of TN gardening (like the longer growing season!).

    Jenica

  • 20 years ago

    Sounds like you need to make some friends at your local extention office. That is always (or usually) a great place for a newcomer to learn about local climate, soil testing, plants, vegetable garden planting times, and lots of other local factors that will be helpful as you learn to garden.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Extension offices....click on your county

  • 20 years ago

    Welcome to Tennessee! I'm glad to hear you have good soil. The humidity does not seem to effect my flowers and vegetables. I keep about 4 or 5 inches of chopped leaves in my vegetable garden and that helps alot. I spent very little time pulling weeds last summer because of the leaves and didn't have to water much either. If you haven't yet, check out the Seed Exchange forum. If you will e-mail me a mailing address, I have some seed I will send to you.
    Jim

  • 20 years ago

    thanks all for responses, ok i wont put any more energy into worry about humidity. Jim thanks for seed offer but i think ill wait till i have seeds to offer back.

  • 20 years ago

    There are certain things that suffer terribly from fungus due to the humidity (last year was really dry) - particularly roses. I would stay away from hybrid teas unless you want to have a continuous battle on your hands. Go for the old garden roses, knockouts and buck roses and you'll have great success here.

  • 20 years ago

    thanks reneecd whats a buck rose?

  • 20 years ago

    Welcome to Middle Tennessee. I live in Cookeville. Check & see if you have any master gardeners in Crossville. Ask at some of the nurseries. There has to be some gardeners who would love to share information. I haven't found the humidity to be a problem except for me. If you're in Cookeville, I'd be happy to share some plants. I am always moving & dividing things. I've started some seeds & have some tomatoes up & stretching for the sun. Think spring.

Sponsored