Software
Houzz Logo Print
amazondoc

Figs!

21 years ago

Hey Figs Galore!

Do you know what variety your fig in MS is? I am currently growing Brown Turkey, Celeste, and Chicago Hardy. None are old enough to fruit yet (maybe this year!). I also have 12 or 15 small cuttings of other varieties, but I don't know if any of those made it through the winter. It's not looking too good right now. :-/

I'm very interested in TN figs. Is anyone else growing them?

Comments (8)

  • 21 years ago

    Thought I was the only one crazy about figs. I have Celeste
    Chicago Hardy and what I think is Brown Turkey and also a
    greenhouse with several cuttings I rooted this winter, that
    came from a 100 year old lady. She's had them for many years. I have no idea what variety, they are. I know the
    first crop of figs are huge, looks allmost like a pear
    then the second crop is much smaller. I will have some for
    mid tn. swap this spring, if I can afford to go.
    Norm

  • 21 years ago

    Hey Norm --

    Too bad you're in W TN! If you were close by, I might sneak over and steal one of those mystery figs. :-)

  • 21 years ago

    Believe it is a Brown Turkey that I have. One I planted last fall does not look good now as a late freeze really hit it hard. I would like to have a cutting of one grown here in TN though. Not sure about the one I have.

    If you have a fig that's not producing, I may be able to offer some insight on how to force/will it to produce. It is about this time of year when I would use fertilizer spikes on 4 sides. Also, I would begin to pinch off the leading buds to force it to begin to produce earlier. You could just snip off the growing tips and probably accomplish the same effects.

    Last week while in MS digging daylilies, the fig was really putting on leaves already. Didn't check it too closely though.

    Roger

  • 21 years ago

    I grow 4 different varieties here in Nashville, but they are all small still so no figs yet. I have TN Mountain fig, Hardy Chicago, Brown Turkey, and a mystery fig. The mystery fig is from a tree in Oak Ridge that rarely, if ever, sees damage. Here's a picture of it taken in winter:

    {{gwi:1278095}}

    There are already little figs all over it this Spring. The figs are large, and greenish-yellow when ripe. I need to get a picture of it with rip fruit. Anyhow, my cuttings taken last year died back a little ways, but are growing now.

  • 21 years ago

    Hey! My Hardy Chicago is from Oak Ridge too! LOL. It's not that same tree, though. Where is that one? Do you happen to know Katie....uhhhh...I think the last name is Corvin....in Oak Ridge? She's got a BIG Hardy Chicago. :-) If you tell me where this tree is, I'll go see if I can get some cuttings before the season gets too far along.

  • 21 years ago

    This one isn't a Hardy Chicago, it's a mystery fig. My Hardy Chicago I bought in Orlando of all places. The one in the picture is loaded down this year already with hundreds of figs, so the owner told me no more cuttings this year. Looks like an amazing breba crop this year!!

  • 21 years ago

    Very cool!

  • 21 years ago

    What type of protection do you guys give your fig trees, so they don't die back too much in the winter? I just bought a Brown Turkey Fig from Lowes and am trying to decide the best place to plant it.

    Thanks,
    Daniel

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths