Software
Houzz Logo Print
boomothergoose_gw

Landscape Idea Help Please!!

21 years ago

Hello, I could really use some suggestions in a bed I haveÂ.

Where my screen porch comes off my kitchen in that "L" shape nook, I have about a 15x20 landscape bed. In this area I have a Little Gem Magnolia, Japanese Maple and a water fountain for a focal point . Around these I have a serpentine line of about 9 Blue Nikko Hydrangeas. In front of them I have about 4 HellerÂs Japanese Hollies with about 3 Crimson Dwarf Japanese Barberry. This weekend I mulched in pine.

I am in E. Tennessee so was obviously going for a very southern look.

Between this back line of hydrangeas and my house I had intended to also follow the serpentine line with a row of low growing boxwoods for a backdrop to my hydrangeas, but now that everything is in I 1.) donÂt think I am going to have the room (the space is only about 2 feet) and 2.) I wonder if I need some "color" with some sort of high perennial like Joe-Pye weed.

Does anyone have any suggestions in regard to sticking with an evergreen or going with color. (Any other suggestions for color.) This area gets sun until about 4 in the afternoon where it starts getting shade.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (10)

  • 21 years ago

    Well ... I'm not an expert but I like to think out of the box. How about something with both qualities - evergreen and color. You could plant some crossvine (Bignonia capreolata). It's good for zone 6, it likes full sun to partial shade, and can grow on concrete (if you want, or use a trellis).

    It's an active climber to 30 - 50 ft so be sure to cut it after flowering to keep it from taking over the roof.

    This vine was a 2003 gold medal winner by the Univ. of Georgia so it would adhere to the southern motif that you're looking for.

    Anyways, I've never grown this so others may have adverse experience ... never-the-less, it's just a suggestion ...

    andy

    Here is a link that might be useful: scroll half way down the page

  • 21 years ago

    Another evergreen climber is Avalanche Clematis. The leaves would provide a different texture between the magnolias, also.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Avalanche Clematis

  • 21 years ago

    Your design sounds very very nice! Wish you could post a picture! I think the above ideas are really good, but I am wondering if you need a climber, what do you have for it to climb on.., you have very nice trees, shrubs in place now, so do you want a little bed of flowers for say like butterflies etc..? If so, then we can talk plants! I can't picture exactly how big the area is.. but some great plants off the top of my head are for the back: joe pye weed pineapple sage, or fragrant tall phlox. For the middle -rudbeckia goldstrum, sedum autumn joy, shasta daisy, maybe a verbena for the front. Maybe place a small bird bath in the midst.. these plants do great in full sun, and really come into their own during summer and summers end... a nice way to end the season, well, then you could put in some panises and mums and decorative cabbages.. oh its endless really! If you don't want color, then you could put hostas in front and maybe grow something right behind them for a little shade covering and given plenty of water they should be ok, it would tie in with your "japanese/ foliage theme" I have rambled alot.. but good luck and let us know what you do! Jenn

  • 21 years ago

    I would suggest Hellebore. Evergreen and color to look at in the late winter to early spring.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks for the help! Actually- there would be nothing for the vine to climb on (And obstruct windows) so I am looking at plants.
    I am going to try and get my husband to help me put a picture on tonight!!

  • 21 years ago

    I'd suggest Buddleia, also called summer lilac and butterfly bush. It's available in a variety of color. Very nice background plant, more open and airy than the other plants you have there.

  • 21 years ago

    Along the lines of madmouser's suggestion, also consider Exochorda x macrantha 'The Bride', a dwarf form of pearlbush.

  • 21 years ago

    I tried to post a picture of the area last night and could not figure out how to do it. I was wanting to post not as a URL link, but directly below on this message as I have seen others do.

    Could someone walk a ding dong through??

    Thanks!

  • 21 years ago

    Save photo as JPG.
    Upload photo to http://photobucket.com
    Copy Tag.
    Paste in Message.

  • 21 years ago

    I made a new friend on the Rose forum (Gail from SC) and she has a great little web site started that will walk you through putting photos directly in your post. Go to: www.upstaterose.com

    Hope this helps!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Upstate Rose from SC

Sponsored