Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jozwiak_gw

trying to buy spinach plants

jozwiak
14 years ago

I planted my garden a month ago (Chicago) and my place didn't have spinach plants yet. Now none. Any ideas on where I can buy spinach plants for this year?

Thanks

Comments (3)

• luke3026
    14 years ago

I'm new at this, but I don't think that spinach transplants well and is recommended to be direct sowed. Not sure what zone you're in, but here in Zone 6 spinach is just about wrapping up for the season. My first square of it has bolted and my second square (planted 3 weeks later) is getting close to bolting. I direct sowed in early April in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luke's SF Victory Garden

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Agree; I'm in Z5, and I might get another round out of mine since we just had a cool snap, but I don't expect much more out of it. I'm going to plant some annual flowers in there til fall, or look into some other 'cover crop' thing, then perhaps reseed it for a fall crop or just let it go.

• defrost49
    14 years ago

I've never seen spinach plants for sale. It's easy to grow from seed but it is day length sensitive. It's probably too late to plant but you might try for a fall crop. Would you consider swiss chard or another type of green?

Last year I had fantastic spinach but this year germination was poor. Maybe germination was ok and I have a problem with crows and other birds. Germination on sugar snap peas also planted in April was fine. mmqchdygg, I think I met you at Annie's NH swap and spoke with you briefly about winter sowing. When did you plant your spinach? Last year was my first year in ages of planting a small vegetable garden. I had people tell me I was planting to early yet I remember planting really late one year to have a very early spinach harvest the following year. TIA for the info

Sponsored