Software
Houzz Logo Print
bluetruck99

Drive Trucks?

21 years ago

I know all gardeners want a truck to haul plants and mulch and stuff, but im curious, how many of you gardeners here in TN accually have a truck to use for gardening? (sorry this is sort of off topic)

Last year i sold my Chevrolet Corsica (great car) to buy my baby-

99' Intense Pearl Blue, Club Cab, Dodge Dakota R/T.

360 cubic inch small block V8, 17" wheels, 9.5" wide lo-pro tires all around, and of course becasue i haul more than just azz, Line-X sprayed bed [over the rails] (best $500 i ever spent on the truck). the super-wide tires run nice on the interstate and do less damage to the grass (wider footprint for driving on the yard to mulch and stuff) some more upgrades that dont have anythign to do with gardening but since im talking about my truck i will throw em out there-

aftermarket cross-drilled slotted brake rotors up front

Polk Autosound component and co-axial speakers all around

560 watt amp for stereo (so loud it hurts)

clear front marker lights

JVC kd-ar300 MP3/CD player

i know no one on here probably cares. but pics are available @ http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/763092

but back to my question- How many of you have trucks? (feel free to elaborate on them as i have :) )

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of the ride

Comments (25)

  • 21 years ago

    Nice truck!

    We have two Chevys...one for haulin mulch/rock/garbage ('72) and one for haulin' family (2000 extra cab Silverado). We call the '72 the big yellow wheelbarrow.

    I drive a '98 Blazer. No system, barely have any hearing left over from the concerts in the '80s, LOL! I don't think I could drive another car again. Well, maybe a Dodge Magnum...now thats a mean grocery getter!

  • 21 years ago

    My "truck" is a Ford Econoline conversion van. Lots o' space for hauling anything. :-)

    Pretty truck!

  • 21 years ago

    I can get 16 bales of pine straw in my '02 Chrysler T&C van. Usually load at a Home Depot in Georgia at $3 something a bale. Up here in the Buckeye, runs anywhere from $7 and up - when you can find it.

  • 21 years ago

    We are kindof strange in the auto dept. DH drives a Volvo S80, I love my SAAB 9-5 BUT sitting on our extra bit of driveway is a used 70 GMC (Sonoma I think). Love it. We've hauled mulch, mushroom and otherwise, stones, rocks, and pulled the bass boat, whatever we need. How could we live without it?

  • 21 years ago

    Ryan your truck is tight and I do speak from experience.... Ryan's truck is so loud it hurts!! My truck is bigger than Ryans truck! I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado...charcoal color. My truck will out haul your truck anyday son!

  • 21 years ago

    surely you arent haulin' in the RT. You definetly need an old full-size beater for that. You would be amazed at what I have had in the bed of my '72. Shes never laid down on me, original motor too! I usually get our mulch at Shamrock organic products in Knoxville, and they show no mercy. They load you with a frontend loader with a bucket bigger than my truck. Its a true gardeners truck.

    Doug,
    I3

  • 21 years ago

    I have a red '98 Dodge Ram 1500. Bought it used and in good shape, but it is definately used for haulin' what ever needs haulin'. Can't see any other reason to own a truck.

    So far this year, 1 yard of topsoil and 5 yards of mulch and counting.

  • 21 years ago

    My truck is a 97 Honda Civic LX 4-door with 185,000 miles. I can haul a dozen 40 lb bags of humus or compost in the back seat. I've also hauled over 500 lbs of 18" stepping stones at a time.

    Hey Ryan and Lucas...my truck get over 30 mpg, how 'bout yours?
    BTW, how in the world can two Freshmen afford new trucks? When Tim, Glenn and I were Freshmen we couldn't afford a pint of Jack Daniels between the three of us!

  • 21 years ago

    Big yellow wheelbarrow loaded down with mulch last fall.
    {{gwi:1278717}}

    Plant and family haulin' truck.
    {{gwi:1278719}}

    Doug drove the '72 as a daily driver for about 8 years until he bought the blue one a few months ago.

    Jeff, was that one rock at a time?

  • 21 years ago

    I can load at least 500 lbs of whatever I need in the Honda.
    If I need more then I borrow my Dad's F-150, no Bowties in this family!

  • 21 years ago

    A Honda Civic 4-door with a 185,000 miles?

    Yeah, Ive ran over some of those!

    ps jeff.....Chevrolet, or no way. My '72 has 320,000

  • 21 years ago

    I have a truck. It's my favorite place in the whole world.
    2004 Suburban
    Gets 3 mpg, but I look fabulous pumping gas into it!!!
    My Yankee friends say I look real Southern in it!!

  • 21 years ago

    Tahoe love it but really wish I had a real pick up.. I haul it all in my tahoe only sometimes feel alittle bad getting it so diry, but whatever.. it cleans up and I need my stuff!! I really believe short people need BIG rides!LOL!!!

  • 21 years ago

    I drive an '02 Z71 extended cab, black. Aside from the mpg and the fact that I can't fit it in my driveway, I love it and use it to haul stuff all the time. I've brought in about 12,000 pounds of stone in it over the last six months or so, a few yards of top soil, put a four wheeler in the back, etc. I wondered when I bought it whether I'd use it...

  • 21 years ago

    Anyone who's seen me arrive at the swap knows I can pack everything I need into the back of my van lol. Of course I'm stuck if I need mulch or dirt hauled, then I usually hollar at my dad.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    How about a 1966 Chevrolet pickup. Original motor, rebuilt in 1988, original transmission, and painted one time in 1989 with its original color, Chevrolet Orange. Its not looking so good these days but I can haul just about anything in it.

  • 21 years ago

    lol @ lucas. (come back and talk when you get line-x, or at least a plastic liner. dont wanna scratch that pretty new paint haulin stuff.) my truck gets 11mpg highway and about 7 city. and @ 125mph it gets 2mpg!

  • 21 years ago

    My husband has a 95 Ford Ranger XLT, which we be replacing soon. A good truck, but it is about worn out at 200,000 miles. It's brought in 4 yards of mulch so far this year, and 2 yards of gravel, as well as numerous plants, pallets, tillers, dog crates.....

    I have a 1984 Toyota 4WD which we also use for hauling plants and mulch, as well as for truck camping, hauling backpacks, etc. It has 230,000 miles so far and just keeps going. Also gets about 27 miles per gallon. :-) My brother has one with over 400,000 miles on it.

    Should also mention my commuter vehicle is a 1998 Honda Civic EX that has also done a good amount of gardening duty, mainly hauling plants and bagged mulch/rock. We'll probably get around to replacing it after it tops 200,000 miles. Great car.

    Like one of my friends says, "Drive it like you stole it.'' Or, to quote Will Smith, "I'm gonna ride it till the wheels fall off." ;-)

  • 21 years ago

    Hubby's royal blue 1995 Chevy S10 can go to Lowes and back by itself I think. Great for hauling dirt, rocks, big plants, etc. However, it's amazing what I can get in the trunk and back seat of my car.

  • 21 years ago

    Hubby hauls mulch for me in our wannabe truck, a 4 cylinder '92 Ford Ranger. At least it's saving us gas money right now. I can haul a huge amount of plants & bagged dirt in my beloved Accord Wagon.

  • 21 years ago

    I own a '93 Dodge Dakota extended cab. It has close to 275,000 miles on it. It has been a good truck and lots of hauling. I have found out that getting parts for my truck is hard, company is not making part for trucks older than 10 years. I also drive a 2001 Ford Ranger and a '96 Ford F350 diesel (mostly for pulling tractor and a bushhog)when friends want an in between truck. I will buy another truck, I would be lost without it.

  • 21 years ago

    I love my Dodge 250 Cummins engine. Real quite if you have
    your ear plugs installed. One really nice thing about it
    is, I spray for mosquitoes when I start it up. One mosquito
    got me today before I could get it started. Found a Honda
    Civic stuck in the grill the other day. Are you OK Jeff?
    Norm

  • 21 years ago

    Our 78 Ford 3/4 ton Ford was said by a policeman in New Orleans to be the ugliest truck in the parish. He wanted to buy it, because nobody, but nobody pulls in front of it. It can go anywhere on our farm, and damage trees and rocks, with darned little added damage to old, old blue.

  • 21 years ago

    Jim--

    I love it. My grandfather's daily driver is a lime green Ford F-100 that he bought new in 1973. He likens himself to the guy from Samford and Son.

  • 21 years ago

    LOL @ this thread :) My "truck" is a red, 1995 Chevrolet Beretta (yeah, the 2 door model). It's paid for and runs great. And I can get an amazing amount of crap in there.
    Of course, I have serious truck envy! I'm just waiting for the F150 hybrid...though I fear I'll have a looonnnggg wait. :)
    This thread reminds me of a great story (sorry if it's long and slightly offtopic, but I thought you all would get a kick out of it):

    About 3 years ago I was in the parking lot of HomeDepot and trying to figure out how I was going to get these 3 4X5 sheets of lattice home. I had bought them thinking I could get them in the trunk or partway. (DUH!)I had just decided that I would use some rope to tie the wood to the roof, and put some spare clothes I happened to have in the car between the lattice and the car when the man in the large red dodge parked behind me came out. He said "Honey, do you need some help?" I tried to say no, but all he could do was giggle. Keep in mind it's like 830 on a Fri. night. He said, "if you don't live too far from here, I'll haul that stuff for you". Against my "better judgement" I accepted his offer--the whole way home I kept thinking--oh jeez, what is he gonna want in return? thinking the worst. We get to my house, he unloads the wood--won't let me help him --carries it up to the porch. And won't take anything but my profuse gratitude! Never got his name, wouldn't take gas $$, or a drink of water.
    That was the day I realized how incredibly neighborly and kind southerners can be. Where I'm from, that wouldn't happen in a bazillion years--or the guy would drive off with the wood, or come back & rob me blind.

    Someday when I have a truck--I hope I get to return the favor to some other hapless gardener! :)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars40 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21