Software
Houzz Logo Print
suzette29

Can anyone identify this stuff?

20 years ago

The yard in my new home is just coming to life, and I'm seeing things I have no experience with. I have two dang Bradford Pear trees that keep the front yard in deep shade. This green stuff has sprung up underneath them and in another deeply-shaded spot. I kind of like it. It mounds a little and is spreading a little. I hope you're not going to tell me it's some noxious weed that has GOT to go!

Here's a link to a picture of one of the spots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Crimsicle/misc/greenstuffundertree.jpg

Here's a closeup of the stuff:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Crimsicle/misc/greenstuffcloseup.jpg

Can anybody help me identify this stuff?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Creamsicle,
    It looks like a type of sedum to me.
    Marianne

  • 20 years ago

    That was my first reaction, but I thought sedum was sun-loving. This stuff is clinging to the shadows. I'm going to water and feed it. Love the look. If it turns out to be something else, I just hope it doesn't take over the whole neighborhood. :)

  • 20 years ago


    Yep! It's sedum! This one grows quite well in full sun or part shade. In full sun it stays more dense, in shade it sprawls a little. It's very hardy too. I collected mine from my parent's yard in Iowa.

  • 20 years ago

    In a little while it will be covered in tiny yellow blooms.

  • 20 years ago

    I have it too. We always called it "Grandma's moss", because my grandma liked it and mine came from what she had.
    Of course it's not a moss, it can get a little out of hand, but easy to control.

  • 20 years ago

    That looks like Sedum acre, often called Goldmoss or Yellow Stonecrop. It's invasive in some areas, but not ours as far as I know. I have some growing in pretty deep shade under hickories and cedars, although it usually wants more sun than that. It lives a long time as long as it doesn't stay too wet in winter, and I expect the trees have gotten bigger and shadier since it was planted, which was long ago.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    Absolutely Sedum. I am not sure of the exact species. It does has yellow flowers, and grows anwhere. I grabbed a handlful about three years ago from in front of a restaurant I like to eat at. I threw it on the ground, and
    it started growing.Last year I did the same.I grabbed a
    a handful, and dropped it under a huge Oak tree in the front. This Spring it is growing everywhere. it can become invasive, but easy to yank out,if it becomes a problem.
    I wish everything else was that easy to grow. Lol

  • 20 years ago

    The beautiful little yellow blossoms started just a few days after my post. It's so pretty - and fills some spots that would otherwise be bare. I need to fill in some places under one tree where it's not full...it's good to know I can yank some from elsewhere and stick it in the ground there!

Sponsored