Software
Houzz Logo Print
soeur_gw

Dr Ruppel and his pal Will Goodwin

20 years ago

I got both of these clematis last year at Lowes marked waaay down. They are nothing short of spectacular this spring. The doctor is pink with rosy bars in the middle of the petals, and Will is the blue with white stamens. Due to the overcast, "cool" lighting, Dr Ruppel is looking much more lavender in the pic than he does in life.

And here's another nearby clematis, named Mrs N. Thompson. I think the British hybridized all these, as they like to name cultivars after people. Americans like to name plants things like "Blue Heaven" and "Rosy Star" (although 'Roseanne Barr' would be an appropriate name for Dr Ruppel, come to think of it). Anyway, Mrs Thompson is a deep bright violet blue with very showy magenta bars. The camera flash lightened the violet somewhat in the pic.

Ain't spring grand?

Marty

Comments (9)

  • 20 years ago

    Mrs N Thompson is especially neat. I have never seen one like that. Your beautiful pictures make me want to expand my clematis collection.

  • 20 years ago

    Yes, I agree, Mrs. Thompson is really neat! But I like Will a lot - anything blue makes me weak in the knees. Your photos are knockouts!

    Katie

  • 20 years ago

    Gorgeous! Do you grow your clematis on trellises or vining through shrubs? I have found several seedlings next to my 'Nely Moser' and one is getting ready to bloom. Can't wait to see what it will look like.

  • 20 years ago

    A few years I bought 2 'Jackmanii' clematis, one for each side of a rose arbor, from one of the box stores. When they bloomed the following year, I found out very quickly tht they were NOT what the tag had said. Below are a couple of pictures I took this evening. I had assumed that the pinky one was 'Nelly Moser', but from looking at the pictures Marty posted, I may be wrong. I have no idea what they are. I have found 6 seedlings in this same area in the past 2 years. One of them has a bud. I can't wait to see what it will look like.

  • 20 years ago

    Beautiful clematis photo's, thanks. I have had very poor luck with the lovely Will Goodwin wilting, coming back slightly and then expiring. Bought several from a local garden center, so in this instance if you're going to purchase this fellow, one of the mega stores would serve as well as a more pricey shop. Some clematis experts claim that Will shouldn't even be sold - but it is magnificent while alive.

    The Viticellas - wilt resistant clematis work well for me.

  • 20 years ago

    The one wth the pink bars is probably Nelly; the blue one may be HF Young.

    I'm gonna be posting some pics from my yard later today. Compare your blue one with my HF Young and see if you think they match.

    I love clems!

  • 20 years ago

    Gorgeous!I just love Clematis. Thanks for sharing, Mona

  • 20 years ago

    WOW, these are absolutely gorgeous ! I had one plant in bloom before this last storm, but it shredded all my pretty blooms. I've never seen one like the last picture you posted Marty, very unusual color combinations.

  • 20 years ago

    'Mrs N Thompson' is my favorite because of those colors. It's just luscious.

    There are several common cultivars that have that red-central-bar-on-pink/lavender color scheme. To my eye, 'Dr Ruppel' is the brightest of the bunch, with deeper colors. My pic doesn't accurately reflect that very well, due to the lighting conditions. There's another one called 'Bee's Jubilee' that looks a bit lighter overall. And then the old standby 'Nelly Moser', which is a bit lighter still. So Ann, you may well have Nelly. Don't judge by my picture!

    I haven't had wilt on Will Goodwin, but I can't keep a Henryi wilt-free for love or money. So my white clematis is 'Miss Bateman', which is wilt resistant.

    Marty

0
Sponsored