Software
Houzz Logo Print
soeur_gw

Tree peony

20 years ago

Once the buds show color they open fast. What an amazing flower.

It was so windy I had to hold it still to take a pic.

Marty

Comments (12)

  • 20 years ago

    Ooooh Marty !!!!
    That sure is a beauty!! What is it's name?? I'm glad you were able to post a pic of it. It made my day :)
    Marianne

  • 20 years ago

    Lovely photo, Marty. And what a funny coincidence -- I just bought my first tree peony last week. :-)

  • 20 years ago

    Me too! I bought my first one at the Nashville Lawn and Garden Show this year.

    Marty, where do you have yours planted? I was advised to plant it where it would get some shade. Yours is gorgeous!

  • 20 years ago

    I've drooled over tree peonies for years. I hope all of ours do well!

    I always wanted one of the red/white striped ones (Shimanishiki) -- but for some reason, the one I actually bought is purported to be "wisteria purple" (Kamatanishiki). They both seem to be common varieties, and I think I'll buy the variegated one next month. :-)

    Marty, do you know what variety yours is? Cheryl, do you know the name of yours? What color is yours going to be? And are both of you putting them in the ground? As so many of my plants, this one is going in a large pot -- at least for now!

  • 20 years ago

    WOW, this is just stunning. I have a tree peony that was sent to me as a special trade. No name on it. I actually have it in a pot, because it was having trouble living and I was afraid to leave it out all winter. It's just maybe 9" tall and I've had it for 2 years ( it was really a tiny thing when it was sent to me ). I hope it grows up to be this pretty !!

  • 20 years ago

    Mine is a no-name, but it bloomed shortly after I brought it home - and the blooms are purple. I am going to plant mine in the ground.

  • 20 years ago

    This was just sold as "pink", no name. I assume it's one of the old Japanese pink varieties that's common in the trade, but I haven't researched it to ID it. Here's another pastel pink one (sold as "soft pink" or "light pink", I don't quite recall clearly)...

    I love the tender shading on this one.

    As for culture... well, I blush. I was given these plants a few years back and didn't have a planting site for them, so I sat the 3 gallon containers by the edge of my patio. And there they remain, because they rooted out through the bottom of the pot and I don't want to risk wrecking them by moving them. My plan is to cut the pots away and bring dirt to them, building a bed around them. They seem to be quite happy in that setting: the darker pink one had three blooms on it last year and seven this year. I've watered them if it gets really dry in summer, and I've thrown a small handful of Flower-Tone in the pot each May. They get sun about 2/3 of the day, dappled shade the rest.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    Oooooooh, Marty, that light one is really gorgeous!

    And your culture technique sounds about like mine with most things. LOL.

  • 20 years ago

    I have a similar variety, and Marty's right...once the buds show color, they really take off. This is the first season blooming for me, as I transplanted this one last season. In fact, I transplanted several herbaceous peonies and they all have buds!! Gotta love these workhorse plants of the spring garden.....T

    http://mysite.verizon.net/cpq1lkvr/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/spring2006treepeonybuds.jpg.w300h400.jpg

    http://mysite.verizon.net/cpq1lkvr/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/spring2006treepeonyblooms.jpg.w300h225.jpg

    Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1280099}}

  • 20 years ago

    Those are all so be-yoo-tee-full. I'm adding one to my list of things to get even though the only small shady place in my yard is getting crowded. Everything else is pretty much full hot sun.

    Katie

  • 20 years ago

    Marty: What a beautiful color!

    Here's mine. This pic is from last year--buds are starting to form now. I purchased it 2 years ago and it's really kicking out the new shoots. I'm very hopeful that in a few more years it'll be a real show-stopper.

    Amazindirt: You said you just bought one of these--in no way do I feel it is "common"--if it's like mine, just wait till you actually see the blooms in person. They just kept me in awe with their beauty!!

    Love mine and can't wait for it to come into flower soon! :-)

    Imperial Japanese Tree Peony
    'Kamata-nishiki'

    Claudia

  • 20 years ago

    Very beautiful -- thanks for the pic!

    I only meant "common" in the sense that if you look around the sites and stores that sell tree peonies, you'll very often find Kamatanishiki and Shimanishiki. They are both beautiful, whether common or not. :-)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio