Software
Houzz Logo Print
katzswoman

Storm warnings......And why they are important

20 years ago

i just want ya'll all to know my mom lost her house yesterday. Lightning hit her house and it was a total loss. Her dogs were saved by her neighbor that reported the fire. My mom and her roomate were not home. Thank you god. This is the third lightning bolt that has either killed someone or destroyed a home in the last couple weeks. Please unplug any appliance that is not being used. Stay off the computer when not in use and please do not be on the phone if it is storming outside.

Martha

Comments (5)

  • 20 years ago

    Martha I'm so sorry about your mom's house. That is terrible! Yes, thank God she is OK. Your warnings are very good.

    Jan

  • 20 years ago

    Darn it -- I thought I posted a response early this morning, but it looks like I was still too sleepy to do it correctly!

    It said -- Thank God the humans weren't home, and thank God the neighbor WAS home for the animals. Scary story!

  • 20 years ago

    Martha, please tell your Mom that we are so sorry to hear about her loss!!! She's likely to be in for several months of headaches and battles so try and be as helpful and supportive as you can be. SheÂs gonna need you! Let her know that she is in our prayers. I hope that she was insured to value and has replacement cost coverage.
    You're correct, these storms are no joke! Between now and October we are still liable to have a number of wind storms, hail storms, severe thunderstorms, flooding and tornados. Hey it's Mother Nature, what do you expect?

    WARNING **************** Toothman Soapbox Alert ****************** WARNING

    I think that I have posted this many times in the past but for those of you that just renew your property coverage without knowing what you have.....Don't you think that now is a good time to take a a couple of hours to make sure that you aren't SURPRISED when you have an occurrence? Odds are youÂre gonna have one too!
    Contact your Agent! That is what he/she gets their commission for!!! 5 to 10 percent of your insurance premium goes in their pocket. Make him/her go over everything with you so that there is no misunderstanding on what you are paying for and the coverage that you are being provided. ASK EVERY QUESTION ABOUT EVERY SCENARIO THAT YOU CAN THINK OF! ItÂs a "donÂt ask, donÂt tell" deal. If you donÂt ask they ainÂt gonna tell.
    I hate to say it and sound cold-hearted but if you think that you got screwed by your insurance carrier then it's probably your own fault for not caring enough to be informed. Don't think for a second that the insurance company is going to feel sorry for you because you thought that you were covered and just didn't know any better. Don't think that they are going to be magnanimous and give away the farm because they like you and youÂre a nice person. DonÂt think that it matters that youÂve been a loyal customer for 20 years and never turned in a claim before. I know that itÂs boring and confusing but aren't your families and your property important enough to you to make sure youÂre covered?........(Jeff says as he climbs down off of his soapbox.)

    I'll be happy to help anybody with advice on Property Coverage and Home Repairs.

  • 20 years ago

    Jeff,
    Do you want a new customer???????? We have had so many problems with Tn Farmers....They upped our insurance and do not want to cover my things in my grandmothers house. Even though I'm taken care of her house now. Please email me. Thanks Martha

  • 20 years ago

    You've got mail.

    As far as the raising of premiums is concerned...they all do it!
    Have you bought gas from a station or groceries from a grocer that is still selling at last years prices? It ain't happnin'.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting