Software
Houzz Logo Print
emalee_gw

New here

21 years ago

Hey guys,

We are Navy and my husband is getting out of the military. We decided we like TN and so we are staying. I haven't really bothered to grow anything while here since I knew we were moving again. We are in the process of buying a house and it is on an acre (lots of front/side yard to work with).

Coming from FL, I know there is a lot I am going to have to know when it comes to fall/winter.

I currently have roses (in containers) and have grown various annuals. Anyone have any advice as to what will grow well in TN? Ideas for my sideyard are welcomed as well. Thinking of a rose garden (however roses are a lot of work, not sure I will have that much time).

I look forward to talking with you all,

Jen

Comments (6)

  • 21 years ago

    Hello Jen!

    Lots of great plants will grow here -- and we are lucky to have many knowledgeable TN rosarians right here on Gardenweb. :-)

    Have you found the rose and antique rose forums? They are a wonderful source for info, and are full of friendly and helpful people. I hope to see you around this forum as well as those!

  • 21 years ago

    Hello Jen. Which part of zone 7 are you residing in? I live in Midtown Memphis. Welcome aboard!

  • 21 years ago

    Jen, welcome to TN...sorry you missed our spring swap on Sat...you could have talked roses or gardening in general to a lot of smart people. We have a number of people from Memphis that come to the swap. The next one is Oct 15th, so start planning to come, and meet your new gardening family.

    Don't be afraid to ask questions here on the TN forum... there is always someone who knows the answers.

    Jan

  • 21 years ago

    Welcome to the forum Jen and to Tennessee ! A good idea might be to peruse the swap lists of people here on the forum to see what they are growing in their gardens. I think almost everyone has a list, if not I'm sure they'd be glad to share their ideas with you.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Welcome Jen! I didn't see in your post that you are in Memphis, but I assume if your husband is Navy, you must be in this area. Several of us on this forum live nearby and we always love to show off our gardens. There are also lots of garden-related things to do (check out the Saturday Commercial Appeal's Garden Calendar), and many groups of knowledgeable gardeners who love to have new members. A good one is the local Horticulture Society. Meetings are the first Tuesday of the month at the Memphis Botanic Gardens at 7:00 PM. Even those of us who are seasoned gardeners come away from each meeting having learned something new. The next meeting will be a picnic, so come and get to know us.

    If you like Roses, don't be put off by tales of them being finicky. Lots are, but there are several that require little to no care whatsover other than sun, water and fertile soil. "Knockout" and "Blushing Knockout" are must-haves.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Memphis Area Garden Calendar

  • 21 years ago

    Yes we are in the Memphis Area, the house we are buying is actually in Tipton County. Thank you so much for the welcome everyone. I look forward to chatting with you all once I get into my new house and start working on the yard :) We close on it on June 17th, so we are pretty excited.

    Jen

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars40 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21