Software
Houzz Logo Print
hick_gw

Lilac in TN ?

20 years ago

Hey everyone;

I just returned from a short trip to Ontario....the lilacs were in full bloom and the smell and sight were lovely !

Ontario grows fantastic lilacs. They grow wild and spread along fencerows and near old homesites. Cool humid climate and natural high ph ( 7.4) soil seems to be heaven for lilacs.

Of course, our TN climate is humid enough, but likely too warm...also natural soil pH here runs around 6.

Anybody had any luck with them here ? How about plant sources ? I'd sure love to try.

Comments (8)

  • 20 years ago

    I planted 2 Common Purple Lilacs ( Syringa vulgaris hybrid Purple) on a south facing slope 5 years ago and 1 Persian Lilac (Syringa hybrid persica) on the north side of the land. All 3 are alive and they bloom. They are kind of scraggly and don't make as many blooms as the ones we had in Chicago. (They were beautiful!) I decided that there are plenty of gorgeous bushes that belong here in middle TN. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have planted the lilacs. Although in April when I stick my nose into the lilac flowers I'll give you a different story. Anita

  • 20 years ago

    There are some varieties that are supposed to do better than others here. I've never grown them here myself -- used to have them in Utah, though!

  • 20 years ago

    Actually, the pH of the soil varies widely in TN. If you're in middle TN, especially in the Central Basin, it's often around 7.0, with some spots at 7.5. Unless you're on a hill, and then it depends on how far up the slope you are -- tops are acid, bottoms are alkaline. Best to do a soil test -- just about everywhere in TN is on limestone, which produces pockets of alkalinity and fluctuating pH. How long ago your area was deforested plays a part, too.

    Good lilac varieties for TN include 'Lavender Lady', 'Blue Skies', 'James McFarlane' and the Korean types like 'Miss Kim'. Also Cutleaf Lilac (S. laciniata) if you can find it.
    The main problem with our climate for the majority of lilac varieties is that we don't have a cold enough winter. Most of them need more chilling hours than we offer.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks for the replies everyone.

    Anita; I agree, so many nice shrubs DO belong here in TN; maybe I just had a short burst of homesickness, and maybe I would do well to leave them alone.

    Marty; soil pH on our middle TN farm runs about 6; I just got my soil tests back before I posted. Honestly, I am surprised at this; our farm is underlain mostly by limestone, and the soil, especially on the hills, is not deep. Apparantly our clay loam doesn't have a very high CEC...should have tested to see. I need me a set of soil maps.

    Jason

  • 20 years ago

    Jason, I can say from personal experience that 'Blue Skies' performs admirably here in middle TN. Mine bears abundant trusses of icy lavender-blue every April and the scent is classic. It's a good looking bush, too, not flea-bitten looking like some varieties get here in our heat. It does a good job of ameliorating LLS (Lilac Longing Syndrome) for those of us who have lived up in Yankee land and miss the abundant lilacs of May up there.

    I believe 'Blue Skies' is a Monrovia introduction and pretty widely available at good garden centers, although not the big box places as Monrovia won't cave to their pricing structures.

    Mar

  • 20 years ago

    Marty, this is good news! I'll keep an eye open for "Blue Skies" come fall. These unhappy things that I have actually go to seed right after they start blooming. I don't know whether to cut the seeds off or what? Anita

  • 20 years ago

    Marty;

    Thank you for all your info. Blue Skies it shall be, on any number of fronts !

    You are 100 % correct about pH being lower on slopes and hilltops than in valleys. My cows told me about it first.... they spend a lot more time eating in the hollows than on the hillsides (this is not necessarily normal behaviour) and I soil tested in an attempt to find out why. pH in the hollows ran nearly 7, and on the hillsides between 5.5 and 5.8. Guess I will be amending the pH on a couple hundred acres of hillsides to sweeten the grass !

    TN is a great place to farm, but the learning curve has been steep! I am learning how to deal with:

    1. Endophyte infected fescue as a primary source of forage
    2. A climate that permits stockpiled winter grazing
    3. Rainfall intensity so high that it means your soil had BETTER be covered in vegetation, or it'll ALL wind up down the hollow !
    4. Spring grass in March instead of early May !

    I'll get out and plant some 'Blue Skies' this fall.

    Kind regards to all;

    Jason

  • 20 years ago

    I have had the Miss Kim lilac (5 - they are kindof small right now) in our landscape for 4 years. The first 2 years were bloomless. Being a technical gardener, I had a little talk with them. Something like "produce or you are out of here". I've had very nice blooms for the last 2 years, timing is everything. Anyway, visited my grandchildren in Milwaukee, WI last week and their lilacs were outstanding. Mine cannot compare.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio