Software
Houzz Logo Print
msbatt_gw

Hardy amaryllis?

20 years ago

My grandmother used to grow a hardy amaryllis that was fairly small and Coca-Cola red with a white stripe down the center of each petal. I *think* I've identified it as being Hippeastrum johnsonii, but all the catalogues that offer it want major $$$ for this one, yet hers multiplied like crazy, and I see huge beds of it in stangers' yards. It's flowering right now in Alabama and Tennessee.

Now, my question---is anyone coming to the swap on Saturday who might bring me some of this? (*grin*)

Comments (12)

  • 20 years ago

    I have some that are in bloom now but not hardy, they need
    a little help in the winter, cover mine with pine straw.
    Our's are solid red and one lone white one. I have several
    young ones that spent the winter in the greenhouse, would
    bloom next year maybe. Could bring some of them if you would
    like.
    Norm

  • 20 years ago

    I just ordered this one from Plant Delights this spring. It was $15 plus shipping, but I received a really large plant (must be multiple bulbs). Hopefully, mine will multiply quickly so I will have extras to share.

    I was also told by a grower that most amaryllis are hardy here if planted DEEP enough (rather than leaving the neck exposed). Has anyone had luck overwintering them outside?

  • 20 years ago

    Mine have grown outside for several years. The bulbs are
    planted a little deeper than the ones in pots. And I mulch
    with the pine straw after first frost. The ones I have in
    greenhouse were dug last fall, they needed thining out.
    Norm

  • 20 years ago

    We have three different varieties that we keep in ground all year. The one that we have had the most luck with so far is Amaryllis "ackermanii" which we got from Plant Delights about 3 or 4 years ago. We do have a scape on another right now that should be blooming next week, but cant think of the variety right off hand. So far we havent found one that wont come back for us yet.

    Doug

  • 20 years ago

    Dangit Douglas, where were you today????? You guys were really missed!

  • 20 years ago

    Depth of planting and mulch can certainly help, but sharp winter drainage is very crucial to extending zones of bulbous plants. In many cases, given the right conditions, plants will survive temperatures much colder than what they are rated. This is why you sometimes hear reports of zone 7 rated plants surviving zone 5 winters (some snow-covered zone 5s). There are several factors working together.

    Here is another place: It is $7.99 but with shipping etc is not so cheap. Certainly wide open for a local retailer with wholesale ID, along with SO many other nice garden plants.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum x johnsonii

  • 20 years ago

    Here it is growing in Tennessee

    Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum x johnsonii

  • 20 years ago

    I overwintered several amaryllis in a large pot outdoors this year. No protection except for tree leaves that fell onto the pot. These were your basic Christmas amaryllis from a coupla years ago -- I took them indoors the first winter, but I just left em in the yard last winter and they did fine.

  • 20 years ago

    I have the hardy Amaryllis that you are looking for. Email me and we'll work up a trade. Mona

  • 20 years ago

    I have some red and white ones I left outside last winter
    as an experiment, They came up and bloomed last week.

    I probably will mulch them heavily with straw this fall
    to be safe......

  • 20 years ago

    Ours have been here for close to twenty years . I would not say that the bed has good winter drainage either . Funny thing though , my Colocasia e. 'Black Magic' comes back every year and is much bigger than any at JLBG ( Plant Delights - PDN ). I find that weird , the bed stays moist all year long with no rotting . The lowest I can remember it being was -4* , just east of Cashville ( Nashville ). PDN was probably the first to sell Hippie. j. in major quanities . Brent and Becky's has them too . Both are excellent sources . Everyone should go to PDN to get blown away by the awesomeness .

  • 20 years ago

    Bill's Amaryllis are awesome! He has the "knack".

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting