Software
Houzz Logo Print
rosiehb

evergreen vine that flowers and smells nice

21 years ago

I'm looking for an evergreen vine that flowers, smells pretty, and is disease resistant (to cover a privacy fence). I'm in the memphis area. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (19)

  • 21 years ago

    I think the native, Clematis virginiana stays green all year (it seems to in my yard.) Some people call it "sweet autumn clematis". Smells heavenly when it blooms, which it does several times in the summer/fall. It looks like it is covered in snow when its blooms suddenly appear. I'm told it is a prolific seeder, but I have never noticed this.

    -Regina

  • 21 years ago

    Yes i agree with rizzir, and I do find it coming up where it had to have come from seeds, it is ramptant here.

  • 21 years ago

    Clematis virginiana isn't evergreen, it dies back and comes up from the roots in spring. Clematis armandii is evergreen, though, and fragrant. You can check it out at the link below.

    Marty

    Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis armandii

  • 21 years ago

    Clematis Amandii is fabulous and evergreen, along with the Crossvine, which is NOT the trumpet vine!!!
    Both of those are at Dan West, here in Memphis...

  • 21 years ago

    Perhaps I have C. armandii then, because I have very old, thick vines on several of mine, and I have seen the foliage all winter. Does anyone know of a website that shows the foliage of each, for comparison? Mine are very fragrant, and bloom more than just in autumn.

  • 21 years ago

    You'd know if you had armandii -- it's got great big leaves.

    The problem is, you may or may not actually have virginiana. There's an exotic invader called sweet autumn clematis, known by several different scientific names -- C. terniflora, C. paniculata, C. maximowicziana, and so on -- that looks more or less the same. It does sometimes keep its leaves.

    http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/clematisvirg.html
    http://msucares.com/lawn/garden/msgardens/03/030818.html

  • 21 years ago

    If they are so similar, why would "Sweet Autumn" be considered invasive? Can they not interbreed if they are so close? Does it really push out its "good twin"? Is anyone sure?

  • 21 years ago

    I dunno!

  • 21 years ago

    Oh, as to the original question: I have a Confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) that I'm very fond of. It's evergreen, has attractive leaves, and smells great. However, it's not in bloom for a very long period.

  • 21 years ago

    Another thought -- some roses are evergreen or semi-evergreen around here. If you have plenty of sun and don't mind the thorns, climbing roses could give you beautiful smelly flowers for a large portion of the year. :-)

  • 21 years ago

    I agree with Amazondoc about the Jasmine. I have both
    the white conferate jasmine, as well as the Yellow Jasmine.
    My conferderate jasmine gets killed back to the ground,
    whenever we have a bad Winter. The yellow blooming jasmine
    is much hardier. It blooms for few weeks in the spring, but you might get another flush of bloomin Fall, if you cut it back a bit, cuase it blooms on new growth.

  • 21 years ago

    Someone here in East TN gave me a cutting of Night Blooming Jasmine/Jessamine (Cestrum nocturnum) which is supposed to get a very fragrant though not showy blossom, and blooms on and off all summer with heavy watering and good humidity. That seems like a shrub you may want to try (I thought she said it was a vine, but it appears not), though I am not sure if it will need to be dug up and overwintered indoors.

    My cutting only just started growing rapidly so it must have its true roots now. I just planted it in full sun (morning to 3pm only) in my tropical garden. We'll see how it does.

  • 21 years ago

    I decided on the Akebia vines. I got Akebia quinata 'Shirobana' (white flowers) and Akebia quinata with the dark flowers. I liked the five-leaf look --- it reminded me of a schefflera plant. We shall see......

  • 21 years ago

    I thought I saw a variegated-leaf akebia at the UT Trial Gardens this spring? Ione, do you know if that's what I saw? If so, what color does it bloom? (I didn't know it did!)

    -Regina

  • 21 years ago

    Errrrr.....they have lots of variegated porcelain vine there. They may also have variegated akebia....I think *maybe* they do....but I don't remember for sure at the moment.

    Akebia's "common" name is chocolate vine -- because the flowers smell like chocolate! the flowers I 've seen are chocolate brown as well -- but some akebias bloom white, and there may be other colors that I don't know about.

  • 21 years ago

    Hey Rizzir, that night-blooming jasmine will definitely need to be brought inside over the winter. It's a zone 9 plant. I left a couple outside last winter, just to see for myself, and they lasted awhile, but by the end of the winter, they were definitely toast.

    Great plant, though -- wonderful scent! And yes, I would call it a shrub rather than a vine.

  • 21 years ago

    I have thought about akebia several times. The first time I encountered the smell, I couldn't find the blooms. It was in the shade so it was hard to see the chocolate blooms.

    Then I saw the off-white bloom in full sun which is more visible....and it does have interesting foliage.

    For the first few years, it seems to stay reasonable well within bounds.....but I have a friend whose shade garden is full of it at least 50' or more from where it was started originally. It is growing under the porch and house and up trees. She has the chocolate bloom.

    The white one at UT gardens doesn't seem to have strayed that far yet.

    Amazondoc: how severe does the winter have to be to damage your confederate jasmine?...or does it always kill it back to the roots? I've wintered mine inside since it was labeled zone 8. Now I wish I had tried it in the ground.

  • 21 years ago

    I've had my confederate jasmine -- in a pot! -- outside for three or four years now, with no significant dieback. Now, it IS on a concrete slab up against the wall of the house -- but it's in the shade, and potted. So that's a mix of factors to consider concerning hardiness. Overall -- so far, so good!

  • 21 years ago

    yes, I was warned about the akebia vine's growth potential. I got two, a chocolate and a white-chocolate vine and they are both in an area where I am at nearly every day so I can keep a close eye on them and trim as needed. i really just love the leaves on it and hope it stays pretty all winter. the flowers are just an added bonus. i probably would not plant these vines in an area i vist infrequently because they could take over before you know it!

Sponsored